In an effort to help end summer hunger Sarasota County Libraries are once again partnering with Sarasota County School Board Food and Nutrition Services and All Faiths Food Bank by participating in the Summer Breakspot Lunch program and the Campaign to End Summer Hunger Backpack program to ensure that children get a nutritious meal when school is not in session.
Elsie Quirk Library will be serving FREE lunches to children ages 18 and under. Starting June 3, a cold lunch will be available, Monday through Friday from 12-12:45 p.m. Registration is not necessary. Any child can simply come to the library during meal times to receive a free meal.
All Faiths Food Bank will be providing Elsie Quirk Library with bags of kid-friendly food for distribution to children and families to take home throughout the summer. Food bags will be available at the Youth Services desk during regular library hours beginning May 20. Again, registration or identification is not required.
For more information about the Summer Breakspot Lunch program including lunch menus and other serving locations visit the Sarasota County School Board Food and Nutrition Services website at sarasotacountyschools.net/departments/FNS. More information about All Faiths Food Bank’s Campaign to End Summer Hunger can be found at allfaithsfoodbank.org.
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meet at 10:15 a.m.
- LEGO Club 1:30 p.m. Children ages 5-12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Englewood Modern Quilters meets at 10 a.m.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film when a woman’s long-time friend reveals he’s engaged, she realizes she loves him herself and sets out to get him, with only days before the wedding. (PG-13, 105 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Democratic Club meets at 5 p.m.
- Teen Book Club meets at 5:30 p.m. For ages 11-18. Teens bring your favorite book to discuss with the group.
- iPads for Beginners Part 2 at 10 a.m. Topics will include, using email, saving and sharing, organizing apps, & also how to download eBooks from Overdrive and Cloud Library (Sarasota County Library card and pin # is required). Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy and school readiness activities that feature stories, music and movement, and crafts. Today’s theme: “Under the Sea”
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m. to knit and chat.
- Stop in and check out a good book or movie for the weekend!
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.