When you visit Elsie Quirk Library this week please consider making a blood donation. The Suncoast Blood Bank mobile unit will be on site on Monday, August 5 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The need for blood is great on any given day, but with advances in medical treatments and procedures requiring blood transfusions the demand for blood continues to increase.
There are many benefits to donating blood. One important benefit is that when you donate you will receive a mini-wellness physical to ensure you are healthy enough to donate. However, the greatest benefit of all is the joy that comes from knowing that you are helping to save someone’s life!
For more information about donating blood or to schedule an appointment visit Suncoast Blood Bank online at www.scbb.org or call 1-866-972-5663. All donors will receive a free movie ticket.
Did you know that you can find information on health, wellness, drugs, supplements, medical tests and much more at the library? Your Sarasota County library card gives you free access to many online health and wellness resources such as Medline, MedlinePlus, and Merck Manuals, available at the library and from home. Find Yourself at the Library.
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- Genealogy Research – Introductory Class at 10 a.m. Registration required and limited to 10 participants. Learn how to research your family genealogy online using the library’s Ancestry and Heritage Quest databases.
- Summer Breakspot Lunches 12-12:45 Last Day. For any child 18 and under.
- Genealogy Research – Advanced Class at 1 p.m. Registration is required and limited to 10 participants. This class is for those already familiar with the Ancestry and Heritage Quest databases and have participated in the introductory class.
- Suncoast Humane Society Volunteer Orientation at 3 p.m.
- Suncoast Blood Bank Blood Drive 10 a.m.- 3 p.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film is about a cynical, immature young man who is taught how to act like a grown-up by a little boy. (Rated PG-13, 101 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County.
- Space Flicks at 2 p.m. Join us for a space-themed movie and fun. For adults. Contact the library for movie titles.
- LEGO Club meets at 6 p.m. Children ages 5-12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- No Story Time Today
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.