Are you in need of music for a Sunday brunch or your next backyard bar-be-que? Well look no further than your public library. Freegal Music (free + legal) is a free music service provided to you by Sarasota County Libraries. Freegal offers access to 13 million songs and over 40,000 music videos.
Freegal’s collection includes music from over 100 countries, legendary artists, trending hits and Sony’s Music catalog. All genres of music are represented from Top 40, Country and Classical to Blues and Bollywood. Music can be browsed by artist, genre, video, top singles, top artists and more. You will be able to download 5 songs per week for free and they will be yours to permanently keep, transfer, burn to CD, etc. Music videos are also available for download, but one video will count as 2 of your 5 download credits. You can also create playlists in Freegal or export music to iTunes, Windows Media Player or the media player of your choice. Again, all Freegal downloads are free and yours to keep!
To access Freegal all you need is your Sarasota County Library card and PIN. Visit the Sarasota County Libraries’ website scgov.net/library, click on “Library Resources”, locate the “Research Help and More” link and select Freegal under the “Leisure” heading. You can also download the Freegal app for free to your Apple or Android device from the App Store, Google Play or Android Market. Search for Sarasota County Library System using a local zip code or city and state. Find your jam at the library! It’s just that easy.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- LEGO Club 1:30 p.m. Children ages 5 to 12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film is the story of two sons of a stern minister – one reserved, one rebellious – growing up in rural Montana while devoted to fly fishing. (PG, 2 hrs. 3 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- English for Spanish Speakers/Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes meets at 5:30 p.m. This class is for Spanish speakers, who want to improve their English skills in speaking, and understanding English, with emphasis on correct pronunciation. Students must be able to speak some basic English.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Family Tree Maker SIG meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Wireless Windows Laptops for Beginners at 2 p.m. Bring your Windows laptop and learn hands-on how to navigate to Internet addresses, what the left and right mouse click/touch pad does, how to save to a memory stick/flash drive, how to make and save a document, how to organize files and photos into folders. Registration is required and limited to 12 participants.
- Englewood Genealogical Society meets at 1 p.m.
- Teen Book/Movie Club meets at 5:30 p.m. Read the book, watch the film and discuss with other teens. For ages 11-18. Contact the library for titles.
- iPads for Beginners Part 2 at 10 a.m. Topics will include, using email, saving and sharing, organizing apps, & also how to download eBooks from Overdrive and Cloud Library (Sarasota County Library card and pin # is required). Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.
- Southwest County Homeowners Alliance meets at 10 a.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Birds”.
- Baila Miller – “Fiddler on the Roof” at 2 p.m. Join Baila as she lectures on the orchestral influences in the development of modern culture. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class at 11:30 a.m. This is a beginner’s class, for developing basic communication skills in the language.
- Spanish Reading Group at 3 p.m. This class is for those who have taken the beginner’s class, as well as any others who can read/speak basic Spanish. To attend, please contact Señor Dan by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.