Join us for an informal discussion with author and illustrator Suzanne Bloom on Thursday, March 8 at 3:30 p.m. Bloom is known for her popular series of picture books about Bear, Goose, and Fox. Bear and Goose first become friends in her book, “A Splendid Friend, Indeed” which won an ALA Notable Award, and the Theodore Seuss Geisel Beginning Reader Honor Book Award.
Suzanne Bloom will talk about the process of writing and illustrating picture books for children. She will share some of her early masterpieces from when she was in kindergarten and how she became an artist. According to Bloom, “The easy part of writing or drawing is getting the idea. Turning it into an interesting tale is the hard part.”
Adults and children ages nine and up are welcome to attend this free program. For more information about Suzanne Bloom, please visit her website at suzannebloom.com. You can find her books waiting to be enjoyed at the library. Don’t forget to bring your library card! To view all available titles by Suzanne Bloom, log on to the library website at scgov.net/library and “Search Catalog”.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Great Decisions meets at 10:15 a.m. Discussion topic: “The Waning of Pax Americana?”
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film when Lucy Honeychurch and chaperone Charlotte Bartlett find themselves in Florence with rooms without views, fellow guests Mr. Emerson and son George step in to remedy the situation. Meeting the Emersons could change Lucy’s life forever, but once back in England, how will her experiences in Tuscany affect her marriage plans? (PG, 1 hr. 57 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- English for Spanish Speakers/Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes meets at 5:30 p.m. This class is for Spanish speakers, who want to improve their English skills in speaking, and understanding English, with emphasis on correct pronunciation. Students must be able to speak some basic English.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian at 10 a.m. A Reference Librarian will be available for help with e-books, computer basics, or questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30-minute session today by calling 941-861-1207 or by signing up at the Reference Desk.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – RootsMagic SIG meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Shell Club Board meets at 1 p.m.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society meets at 1 p.m.
- Alaska: The Ice Palace at 5 p.m. Bob and Kim Yantorno are back again to share their adventures in Alaska. Join them for their video presentation of this last frontier on earth. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- LEGO Club meets at 6 p.m. Children ages 5-12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Englewood Modern Quilters meets at 10 a.m.
- Short Story Discussion Group meets at 10:15 a.m. Discussion titles: “The Resemblance Between” by T. Williams and “The Key” by Isaac B. Singer
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Colors”
- Englewood Mac Users Group – iDevices SIG meets at 1:30 p.m.
- Meet Author/Illustrator Suzanne Bloom at 3:30 p.m. For ages 9 to adult.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class at 11:30 a.m. This is a beginner’s class, for developing basic communication skills in the language.
- Spanish Reading Group at 3 p.m. This class is for those who have taken the beginner’s class, as well as any others who can read/speak basic Spanish. To attend, please contact Señor Dan by email at email@example.com
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.