The best card that you can ever have is a library card. The American Library Association annually dedicates September as National Library Card Sign-up Month and joins with public libraries nationwide to highlight the value of a library card. A library card is the key to an exciting world of books, movies, electronic resources, and much more.
Getting a library card is easy. If you are a resident of Sarasota County all you need is a photo ID and proof of residency to receive a free library card. Those under the age of 18 will need to have a parent or legal guardian sign the application with them.
If you are a library user from Charlotte County, you may register with Sarasota County Libraries as a reciprocal borrower for free. Just bring in your Charlotte County library card, a photo ID and proof of residency.
Non-resident library cards are also available for purchase in increments of 3 months, 6 months, or 12 months. Non-resident cards offer the same borrowing privileges as Sarasota County resident cards.
If you haven’t been to the library in a while don’t put it off any longer. Visit the Elsie Quirk Library or any Sarasota County Library today and sign-up for your free library card. Then use your library card often and take advantage of all that libraries have to offer. Find Yourself at the Library and checkout something incredible!
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- Spanish Study Group meets at 10:15 a.m.
- Suncoast Humane Society New Volunteer Orientation at 3 p.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together.
- Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Read with the Dogs at 3:30 p.m. Children are invited to read to certified pet therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film is about a young boy who witnessed the suicide of a mafia lawyer and hires an attorney to protect him when the District Attorney tries to use him to take down a mob family. (Rated PG-13, 2hrs 1min) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscaping questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County.
- Recycling 2.0 for Kids at 3:30 p.m. Join Sarasota County Solid Waste staff for an interactive journey about the history of recycling. Make a craft from recyclable materials. Registration is required.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy and school readiness activities that feature stories, music and movement, and crafts.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.