If you are interested in tracing your family’s history but don’t know how or where to start, the library can help! Introductory and advanced genealogy classes are offered at several Sarasota County Libraries that will help you get started on your genealogy journey or help with some tips and tricks if you’re stuck in a “genealogy road block”.
During these classes, you will be able to research your family history by using Ancestry Library Edition and Heritage Quest databases that are available at the library. Bring along your family names, dates and locations of your ancestors as these online research tools will allow you to search billions of records that will help you discover your family’s story and grow your family tree.
Join instructor, Gail O’Hara at the Elsie Quirk Library on Friday, September 20 at 10 a.m. for the introductory class or at 1 p.m. for the advanced class. She will share her expertise with navigating the online resources and offer insights to help you get connected to the places where your roots began and to find where your branches stretch.
Registration is required and limited to 10 participants in each class. Online registration is available at scgov.net/library. For more information or to register in person visit the Information Services desk at the Elsie Quirk Library. Find your connections, Find Yourself at the Library!
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- Spanish Study Group meets at 10:15 a.m.
- Suncoast Writers Guild – Long Writers at 10:15 a.m.
- Spanish Story Time at 10:30 a.m. For ages 3 and up. Bilingual stories, songs, and activities. Learn new words and practice language skills.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Englewood Modern Quilters meet at 10:15 a.m.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film is about a mother and daughter and their search for success in Beverly Hills. Based on the novel “Anywhere but Here” by Monica Simpson. (Rated PG-13, 2hrs) Contact the library for movie titles.
Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscaping questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Friends of the Englewood Archives meet at 12 p.m.
- Friends of Stump Pass Board Meeting at 3 p.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy and school readiness activities that feature stories, music and movement, and crafts. “C is for Cat”
- Summer Book Discussion at 10:30 a.m. Join the discussion of the book “The Stars Are Fire” by Anita Shreve.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.