If you haven’t heard, Elsie Quirk Library has a beautiful reading garden thanks to the generosity of the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library. Now that cooler weather has arrived, this is the perfect time to visit the library and enjoy the garden.
The Golden Reading Garden was funded and built by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library to commemorate the library’s 50th anniversary. It has a lovely brick paver path that winds around the northwest portion of the library property. Along the path are numerous plants, flowers and trees that are maintained by the Friends Garden Committee volunteers. There are benches and a gazebo for folks to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
If you are looking for a unique gift for that person who has everything or would like to honor or memorialize a loved one, consider purchasing a personalized paver brick for the garden pathway. Each brick may include up to three engraved lines of your special sentiment and will be placed as a forever memory in the Golden Reading Garden. Paver bricks are $75.00 each and may be purchased in the Friends Bookstore located at the entrance of the library.
Proceeds from paver brick sales helps the Friends to enhance the programs, collections and operations of the library that are not provided for in the library’s regular budget. For more information please visit the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library Bookstore or online at friendsofelsiequirk.org.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Spanish Storytime 10:30 – 11:15 a.m. For ages 3-11. Bilingual stories, songs and activities. Learn new words and practice language skills. Presented by Library Volunteer Lourdes Fuller.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Read With the Dogs 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. Children are invited to read with certified pet therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society. This program encourages conversation and develops reading and communication skills. The dogs love the attention and the kids love the interactions!
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In a prison cell somewhere in Latin America, two very different men warily confront each other. Over time, mistrust turns into daily conversations between the two cellmates. Based on the book “Kiss of the Spider Woman,” by Manuel Puig. (R, 2 hrs.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Library Bingo! 10:30 – 11:30 a.m. Join us for Bingo and snacks at Elsie Quirk Library! *Registration is required and limited to 20 participants.
- Flood Zone Map Changes Workshop 10:15 – 12:00 p.m. Anyone who has questions about flood risks, zones, insurance regulations and pending map changes is welcome to attend this informative presentation, followed by time for a Q&A session.
- Athena: Wisdom & Wit meets at 11:00 a.m.
- Englewood Authors meet at 5:00 p.m.
- World Culture Club 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. For ages 11-18. Bring your friends and learn about different countries and cultures from around the world. Each month we will feature a different country.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1:00 p.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society meets at 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Spanish Study Group meets at 10:15 a.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.