It’s Autumn, everyone! What an ideal time to “Fall” in love with your local library (apologies for the pun, I couldn’t help it!). It’s also the perfect time to swing by Elsie Quirk and see what’s going on (Spoiler Alert: A LOT!).
In my book, (I know, I know!), October is the (un)official kickoff of “Holiday Season, YAY!” and however you may feel about Pumpkin Spice…well, EVERYTHING – there’s always something exciting, interesting, informative, and FUN happening here at Elsie Quirk.
And so I present to you an “Autumn Seasonal Sampler” of Library programs and events – there’s something here for everybody, and everybody’s welcome!
For Adults, we’re proud to announce that “Library Bingo” is back by popular demand! Be sure to wear your lucky shirt and enjoy some snacks, and above all, have fun! Or, perhaps you’d rather get your artistic juices flowing at our “Rock Painting” program. We provide the rocks and the supplies – all you have to bring is your imagination!
Hey Englewood: Let’s Get Local! We’re very excited to present two events geared toward folks in our community: “The Legacy Trail: Past, Present, and Future” and “Floridian Cuisine with Chef Warren.” If you like to bike, or enjoy fresh, local fare, come on down to Elsie Quirk! And, if I may ask — Do you have a flair for one-of-a-kind creations? If so, you should most definitely check out our “Geometric Design: Jewelry Making” program, where participants can design and create their unique piece of wearable art. Some of these programs do require registration, so be sure to save your seat by registering online at www.scgov.net/libraries, and clicking on Library Events. You can always call Elsie Quirk at 941-861-1200, and we’ll sign you up right over the phone. And if you happen to be in the neighborhood, come on in and inquire in person – and be sure to pick up our “Happy Fall: Adult Programs & Events” flyer while you’re here!
There’s always something fun happening in Elsie Quirk’s Children’s Room! Now that Summer Reading is over, see what we have in store for Fall! Upcoming programs and events for kids include some “new debuts,” such as “Kidding Around Yoga” and “Shrinky Dink Science,” as well as time-honored favorites like “Read with the Dogs,” “Forty Carrots,” “LEGO Club,” and “Family Storytime.” Our October Children’s Calendar is hot off the presses, so be sure to pick one up next time you’re here.
And let’s not forget about our Teens and Tweens! We’re Super Psyched to introduce a new Young Adult program: World Culture Club. Discover unique countries and cultures around the globe, and travel the world without ever leaving the library! And if you’re a Teen with a big mouth and a big brain that’s full of great ideas and opinions, why not join Elsie Quirk’s “Teen Advisory Group,” and let your voice – and your vision – be heard, and shared!
So, as you can see, there’s a whole lot going on at the Library this Fall! Everyone – and I do mean, EVERYONE – is invited. I guarantee you’ll find whatever it is you’re looking for here at Elsie Quirk! So come Find Yourself at the Library, and I look forward to seeing you soon!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Find Yourself at the Library and check out a great book or DVD for the weekend!
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. A linguistics professor and her family find their bonds tested when she is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. Based on the bestselling book “Still Alice” by author Lisa Genova. (R, 1 hr., 41 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:00 pm.
- Englewood Indivisible meets at 2:00 pm.
- LEGO Club 6:00 pm – 7:30 p.m. Work on your own creations or build as a team. We provide the LEGOs, you provide the imagination!
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1:00 p.m.
- Genealogy Research 10:30 a.m. OR 1:00 p.m. Research your family genealogy online through Ancestry and Heritage Quest. Bring along your family names, dates, and locations of your ancestors. Registration is required and limited to 10 participants. Please contact Elsie Quirk Library at 941-861-1200 to inquire about additional dates and times for this program.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.