Calling all Englewood Genealogy Enthusiasts!! Have you ever wanted to trace your family’s roots, but don’t know how – or where – to start? If this sounds like you, or anyone you know who’s interested in “branching out” on their family tree (excuse the pun, I couldn’t resist!), I have great news for you!
Elsie Quirk Library is offering a “Genealogy Research: 101” workshop, which is perfect for anyone who wants to learn more about their ancestry. I’m also happy to report that this workshop will be taught by Sarasota County Libraries’ own “Genealogy Guru,” who I can tell you from personal experience, is a treasured font of knowledge when it comes to all things Genealogy!
The workshop will take place here at Elsie Quirk on Friday, October 5th, Thursday, November 15th, Friday, December 7th, and Wednesday, January 2nd (2019). Each of these four dates will feature a morning session (10:30am – 12:30pm) and an afternoon session (1:00pm – 3:00pm).
During this Genealogy Research Workshop, you will research your family genealogy, using two of our library databases: Ancestry and Heritage Quest. Bring along your family names, dates and locations of your ancestors, and go back in time as you discover your family’s history.
And don’t be afraid about the thought of “accessing library databases” – Elsie Quirk is providing the technology, as well as THE most helpful instructor to guide you and help navigate the pathways as you discover your family’s story.
Registration is required for this workshop, so I encourage you to go to www.scgov.net/libraries and click on “Library Events” to access our Events Calendar. Or, give us a call at Elsie Quirk (941-861-1200), and we’ll be happy to get you all set for this exciting Genealogy Workshop!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Florida Fossils 10:30 – 11:30 a.m. For ages 5 to adult. The Southwest Florida Fossil Society will present an informational program about fossils found in the local area.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In 1950s Cuba, a professional gambler falls for a woman heavily involved in the revolution movement. (R, 2 hrs., 24 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Teen Book Club 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. For ages 11-18. Hang out with us and join in on our monthly book discussion. Contact the library for this month’s book title.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1:00 p.m.
- Stop by the library to get a great book or movie for the weekend!
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.