Lots of library users love new books and movies, and so the Sarasota County Libraries offer a request system. This is the equivalent of putting your name on a list for a popular item. Once you have an item on hold, you don’t want to miss it when it finally arrives.
But what if your hold is ready, but you are not? You’re going on vacation but you don’t want to lose your place on the list? Sarasota Libraries offers the perfect remedy to this potential problem – a service called “Frozen Holds.”
If you’re going out of town and you don’t want your “item on hold” to arrive until you come back you can put a freeze on the hold. All you need to do is access your library account at www.scgov.net/library. Locate the hold item you wish to freeze in your account and click the Freeze box. The item will remain in your spot on the list until YOU unfreeze it by unclicking the box. If you need help or have questions about this handy service or how to take advantage of Frozen Holds, just call 941-861-1110.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:00 a.m.
- LEGO Club 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. Work on your own creations or build as a team. We provide the LEGOs, you provide the imagination.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. The life and work of Archbishop Oscar Romero, who opposed, at great personal risk, the tyrannical repression in El Salvador. (PG-13, 1 hr., 42 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Teen Advisory Group (T.A.G.) 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. For ages 11-18. Join the Teen Advisory Group (T.A.G.) and share ideas for upcoming library programs for teens.
- Teen Game Night 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. For ages 9-18. Game night is an open invitation for tweens and teens to play on our Wii and Xbox 360 gaming systems. We provide the games, you bring your friends and everyone has a great time!
- Eckankar meets at 6:30 p.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- “Songs of Willow Frost” Book Discussion 10:30 – 12:00 p.m. Join Alyssa Lopez as she leads a discussion of the book “Song of Willow Frost,” by author Jamie Ford.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1:00 p.m.
- Stop by the library to get a great book or movie for the weekend!
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.