There are so many wonderful reasons to visit your local library but did you know that you can read your favorite magazine without ever leaving home for free? All you need is your Sarasota County Library Card and an internet-enabled device to have the magazines you know and love, available digitally at your fingertips.
“Flipster” is an easy-to-use digital magazine newsstand that offers best-selling magazines. You can find the “Flipster” database on the Sarasota County Libraries’ webpage, scgov.net then click Research Help and More and click “Flipster”. Once you’re there you can choose from over seventy different popular magazines to download and read. Some of the titles that are available for your reading enjoyment include Oprah, Apple, People, Sports Illustrated, Time, Rolling Stone, and many more. Plus, back issues are also available for viewing. Offline viewing is available via the “Flipster” app for iPads, Android tablets and Kindle Fire tablets.
Visit Elsie Quirk Library and ask one of our friendly staff members for a demonstration of the “Flipster” database. Find your magazines, and Find Yourself at the Library!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Kidding Around Yoga 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. For ages 5 to 9. Enjoy creative movement and quality family time that enriches mind, body, and heart. Yoga mats will be provided, but feel free to bring your own! Presented by guest instructor Barbara Gail. Registration is required and limited to 10 children.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Read with the Dogs 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Children are invited to read to a certified pet therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society. This program encourages conversation and develops reading and communication skills. The dogs love the attention and the kids love the interactions!
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In order to support her ten children, Evelyn Ryan enters a commercial jingle-writing contest. Based on the book “The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio” by author Terry Ryan. (PG-13, 1 hr., 39 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Family Garden Club of Englewood meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Athena: Wisdom & Wit meets at 11 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – RootsMagic SIG meets at 1:30 p.m.
- Shrinky Dink Science 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. For ages 5 to 11. Learn the science behind “memory” plastic. Trace, color and create your own Shrinky Dink charms! Registrations is required and limited to 15 children.
- World Culture Club 5:30 pm – 6:30 p.m. For ages 11 to 18. Bring your friends and learn about different countries and cultures from around the world! Each month we will feature a different Country.
- Flood Zone Map Changes Workshop 10:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Anyone who has questions about flood risks, zones, insurance regulations and pending map changes is invited to attend this informative presentation, followed by time for your questions and answers.
- Family Storytime 10:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1:00 p.m.
- Find Yourself at the Library and pick up a book or movie for the weekend!
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.