Feeling a bit under the weather, but too busy to see a doctor? A great way to get checkup while on the go is to check out the Health in Motion bus! Health in Motion is a mobile health services unit of the Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County (DOH-Sarasota). The Health in Motion staff provide free health screenings and referrals for general health and wellness. There is a registered nurse (RN) on board who is available to help individuals who lack medical insurance find a medical home for ongoing health care through referrals to the Community Health Centers of Sarasota County.
Health in Motion services include:
- Blood pressure screening.
- Body mass index (BMI) measurement.
- Diabetes – glucose screening.
- HIV and STD testing (select sites).
- Tips for staying healthy.
- Referrals to “Quit Your Way” with Tobacco Free Florida and medical and dental care at Community Health Centers of Sarasota County.
There’s no appointment needed when it comes to the Health in Motion bus! Just stop whenever you have a moment, and have your blood pressure checked or receive some healthy living tips. For more information about Health in Motion call 941-861-2873 or visit their website at sarasotahealth.org.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:15 a.m.
- LEGO Club 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Work on your own creations or build as a team. We provide the LEGOs, you provide the imagination.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In 1950s Connecticut, a housewife faces a marital crisis and mounting racial tensions in the outside world. (PG-13, 1 hr., 47 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 1 p.m.
- French Conversation Club meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogy Society of South West Florida meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Teen Book Club 5:30 – 6:30. For ages 11-18. Bring your favorite book to discuss!
- The Legacy Trail: Past, Present, Future 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The Friends of the Legacy Trail will present a program designed to raise awareness of the Legacy Trail and its future.
- Family Storytime 10:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1:00 p.m.
- Find Yourself at the Library and pick up a book or movie for the weekend!
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.