Librarians have much in common with Mr. Rogers—for example, great sweaters, kindness, and good Neighbors. This month the Friends of the Elsie Quirk Library have partnered with our neighbors, Lemon Bay Playhouse to present a special performance of Lying in State on October 22 at 7:30 p.m. The entirety of proceeds from this performance will go to the Friends of the Elsie Quirk Library. Tickets are available through the Lemon Bay Playhouse box office and website. A heartfelt thank you to the playhouse, performers, and crew for donating their time and talent on behalf of the library. They are generous neighbors indeed!
October 20-26 is National Friends of the Library Week, and the Elsie Quirk staff wishes to express exuberant gratitude! We could not be the robust community library that we are without the support of our dedicated Friends organization.
What do Friends of the Library do, you ask? Through fundraising, stewardship, and community engagement, they provide resources for Elsie Quirk’s programming and special events, and donate funds to enrich the floating collection of the Sarasota County Library System. Each week, throughout the year, this column informs the community of free events at Elsie Quirk; those programs, classes, opportunities, and amusements are made possible through the hard work of the Friends!
Can’t make the play, but still want to be friendly? Do some shopping at the Friends of the Library bookstore in the Elsie Quirk lobby, or check out their website at FriendsOfElsieQuirk.org for more ways to get involved.
This week’s programs:
- Spanish Study Group meets at 10:15 a.m.
- Suncoast Writers Guild Workshop10:15 a.m. – Noon Writers from various backgrounds bring their written work to read aloud and critique one another’s writing.
- LEGO Club 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. Children ages 5 to 12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m.
For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Englewood Modern Quilters 10:15 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. This week’s movie involves jealousy, Salem witch trials, and Winona Ryder!
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscaping questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County.
- Englewood Camera Club 12:30 – 3:30 p.m. Understand Photography. Presentations by Peggy Farren and Joe Fitzpatrick.
- Teen DIY No-sweat Shop 5:30 – 7 p.m. Students age 11-18 are invited to learn maker skills. Using a variety of tools and materials, participants will produce useful or comforting items that will then be given to children who are facing difficult circumstances and could use an expression of kindness from their community.
- Englewood Democratic Club 5 – 7:30 p.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy and school readiness activities that feature stories, music and movement, and crafts.
- Quirky Knitters 1 – 3 p.m. All are welcome to knit and chat.
- Tech Time: One-on-one help with a librarian. 10 a.m. – Noon