Public libraries have always been more than rooms full of books—while also acknowledging that rooms full of books are glorious and quite necessary. At the Elsie Quirk Library, we have books in many formats, but also movies, music, magazines, newspapers, technology access, e-resources, diverse programs; and, most profoundly of all, a helpful and knowledgeable staff to curate, guide, assist, inform, engage, facilitate, encourage, instruct, support, and welcome all who step through the door.
This week, we are pleased to invite you to check out an innovative new resource in the youth department, our Explore Your World Backpack. This is a pack that you can borrow with your library card, full of tools to explore the outdoors. There is an underwater viewing boat, a planisphere, binoculars, field guides, fun, and fascinating nature cards, and more. It’s a fabulous family outing, or grandkid visit, all packed up and ready to go. The backpack may be borrowed for 3 weeks, so it is also ideal for after-school enrichment or a homeschool unit.
Have you delved into the cornucopia of resources your library offers, yet found yourself thinking, “I sure wish they had this program, or that item to check out or the nifty resource I read about the other day…?” We enthusiastically invite your input! Let us know what you would like to see at Elsie Quirk, no matter how small or large, whether conventional or non-library-seeming. The library is here to serve the community, and we value your ideas about how best to do that.
This week’s programs:
- Spanish Study Group meets at 10:15 a.m.
- Suncoast Writers Guild Long Writers 10:15 a.m. – noon
- Englewood Indivisible Meeting 2:30 p.m. – 4:45 p.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m.
- For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together.
- Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Read With The Dogs 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Children age 5 – 11 are invited to read with certified pet therapy dogs.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. This week’s movie is an Academy Award winner, with rich costuming and music; a thought provoking, dark exploration of a dressmaker’s obsessiveness.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscaping questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County.
- Englewood Area Computer Users Group 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Teen Advisory Board 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. The board is open to students age 11-18, to help plan library programs and initiatives, and provide input on library services. Refreshments provided.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy and school readiness activities that feature stories, music and movement, and crafts.
- Fire Safety Program 10:30 a.m. Learn about fire safety through stories, songs, and other activities. Meet the Englewood firefighters, and see the big red truck up close in the parking lot!
- Quirky Knitters 1p.m. – 3 p.m. All are welcome to knit and chat.
- Reading Discussion Group 10:15 – noon.