Happy post-Thanksgiving / post-Black Friday, Englewood! Is everyone recuperating from their Food Coma? My Holiday Secret: Elastic-waist pants. Preferably paired with a Snuggie.
However, the holidays aren’t always a joyous time for all – not everyone has a place to go; not everyone has something to eat. It’s not something that’s easy to talk about, but it’s important to think about. That’s why Elsie Quirk Library is teaming up with All Faiths Food Bank to hold a “Holiday Food Drive,” aimed at ending hunger during the holidays.
In Elsie Quirk Library’s foyer, you will find an “All Faiths Food Bank: Ending Hunger “box. So please, if you happen to be going through your cabinets or pantry, and find something you’d like to donate, bring any cans and non-perishable food items to the Library, and drop them off right into the box. (Please, no glass, damaged, or open food containers.)
As we get ready to celebrate the season and give thanks for all the good things and happiness in our lives, ‘tis also the season to reflect inward, while also turning outward. So, as the holidays set upon us, and we’re running from store to store (side note: 25 minutes in line just to buy an iTunes gift card?? REALLY??), frantically crossing things off your “To Do” List, if you can, stop by Elsie Quirk Library, and drop something off in the “All Faiths Food Bank: Ending Hunger“ box. Let’s come together, Englewood, and make this the most wonderful time of the year for everyone.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Free Blood Pressure Testing 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Nursing Students from Charlotte Technical College are offering free blood pressure screenings, as well as information on heart disease and how to create a heart-healthy diet.
- Forty Carrots: Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Englewood Modern Quilters meet at 10:00 a.m.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. Take two rival television reporters: one handsome, one talented, both male. Add one producer, female. Mix well, and watch the sparks fly! (R, 2 hrs., 13 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Library BINGO! 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Bring your rally cap and a best friend, and join us for BINGO and snacks! Registration is required and limited to 20 participants.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 1:00 p.m.
- French Conversation Club meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Teen Book Club 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. For ages 11-18. Hang out and meet some new friends, and join in on our monthly book discussion. Contact the Library for this month’s book title.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Come Find Yourself at the Library and discover a great book or movie!
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.