Holy nick of time Batman! The day you’ve been waiting for is finally here! Free Comic Book Day at the Library! Sarasota County Libraries and the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library have partnered with The Dark Side, an independent comic book store in Sarasota, to provide free comic books to our library customers. Comic book fans of all ages and those new to comics can get special issues for free!
Comics are an original American art form, created in the early 20th century. Comic books are fun to read, featuring a wide range of diverse story lines that capture the imagination of readers.
If you like to read comic books you might also like to try out a graphic novel. Graphic novels are like comic books since they use sequential art to tell a story, but they’re in the form of a paperback book. The library has a large collection of graphic novels available for readers of all ages to borrow. Visit the library website scgov.net/library to see what’s available.
A limited supply of free comic books will be available in the Youth section from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. today at Elsie Quirk Library. So, stop in and get yours before they’re up, up and away! Check out the graphic novel section while you’re here too!
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:15 a.m.
- Suncoast Humane Society – Volunteer Orientation 3 p.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film Hilary begins to work as a private nurse for a young man suffering from blood cancer. Slowly they fall in love, but they always know their love cannot last because he is destined to die. (R, 111 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Health in Motion Bus will be in the library parking lot from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. The Florida Department of Health of Sarasota County, Health in Motion staff will be on-site to provide no-cost health screenings and referrals for general health and wellness. Nursing staff will help individuals who lack medical insurance find a medical home for ongoing health care through referrals to the Community Health Centers of Sarasota County.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian at 10 a.m. A Reference Librarian will be available for help with e-books, computer basics, or questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30-minute session today by calling 941-861-1207 or by signing up at the Reference Desk.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5 p.m.
- World Culture Club for Teens at 5:30 p.m. For ages 11-18. Bring your friends and learn about different countries and cultures from around the world.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy and school readiness activities that feature stories, music and movement, and crafts. Today’ theme: “Moms”
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m. to knit and chat.
- Stop in and check out a good book or movie for the weekend!
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.