In an effort to help end summer hunger Sarasota County Libraries are once again partnering with Sarasota County School Board Food and Nutrition Services and All Faiths Food Bank by participating in the Summer Breakspot Lunch program and the Campaign to End Summer Hunger Backpack program to ensure that children get a nutritious meal when school is not in session.
Elsie Quirk Library will be serving FREE lunches to children ages 18 and under. Starting June 4, a cold lunch will be available, Monday through Friday from 12 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. Registration is not necessary. Any child can simply come to the library during meal times to receive a free meal.
All Faiths Food Bank will be providing Elsie Quirk Library with bags of kid-friendly food for distribution to children and families to take home throughout the summer. Food bags will be available at the Youth Services desk during regular library hours beginning May 29. Again, registration or identification is not required.
For more information about the Summer Breakspot Lunch program including lunch menus and other serving locations visit the Sarasota County School Board Food and Nutrition Services website at sarasotacountyschools.net/departments/FNS. More information about All Faiths Food Bank’s Campaign to End Summer Hunger can be found at allfaithsfoodbank.org.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Sea Turtle Art at 10:30 a.m. For ages 5-11. Learn about sea turtles and then create a sea turtle using local shells with artist, Betsy Frank. Registration is required and limited to 15 children. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- LEGO Club 1:30 p.m. Children ages 5 to 12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Englewood Modern Quilters meets at 10 a.m.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film takes a look at the lives of the strong-willed women of the Weston family, who’s paths have diverged until a family crisis brings them back to the Oklahoma house they grew up in, and to the dysfunctional woman who raised them. (PG-R, 2 hrs. 1 min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian 10 a.m. – Noon. Need help your iPad or tablet? Reserve a 30-minute session today by calling 941-861-1207 or by signing up at the Reference Desk.
- Englewood Camera Club – Summer Shutterbugs meets at 12:30 p.m.
- Friends of Stump Pass Organizational Meeting at 4 p.m.
- Teen Book/Movie Club meets at 5:30 p.m. Read the book, watch the film and discuss with other teens. For ages 11-18. Contact the library for titles.
- No Story Time Today – we’re taking a short break as we prepare for our summer programs! Stay tuned!
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.