Get your Festive Fourth started is our “Libraries Rock! Rock Painting” program at Elsie Quirk Library! The fun starts this Saturday, June 30th at 10 a.m. We provide the rocks and the painting supplies, all you need to bring is your creative imagination!
Painted rocks hold special significance in Englewood: “Rockers” find rocks and paint beautiful scenes, inspirational quotes – or whatever “rocks” their boat! – and then hide their lovely creations…to be found by folks around town in the most unsuspecting places! It’s such a delight to find an “Englewood Rock!” I myself discovered one on a bench outside Elsie Quirk, and I must say, it absolutely made my day. So, come down to Elsie Quirk this Saturday and “Rock Out at Your Library!” All ages are welcome!
Are you’re heading out to a Fourth of July picnic or celebration, but you can’t find Grandma’s Super-Secret Potato Salad recipe? Are you planning a ”Fabulous Fourth” party, but are a bit lost when it comes to hosting Martha Stewart-level soirées? Don’t worry, Elsie Quirk Library has got your back! We have books filled with party-planning ideas to get you into that Independence Day spirit, and decorate and celebrate in style. We also have cookbooks and recipes to cover all your picnic party needs – from “Grilling & BBQ: 101,” to whipping up festive foods and desserts. (I love making my “Flag Cake” – pound cake with whipped cream, decorated with strawberries and blueberries as the Stars and Stripes. It’s easy to make, and always a hit!) In a hurry? No worry! Give our Mobile App a try and Find Yourself at the Library, and On-The-Go!
Happy Red, White and Boom, Englewood! I hope everyone has a fantastic Fourth of July, filled with fun, food and fireworks!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Libraries Rock! Rock Painting 10 a.m. – Noon. Rock someone’s world with a painted rock. Use your creative abilities to create painted rocks to keep for yourself or share with others. All supplies will be provided, and all ages are welcome! Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- Forty Carrots: Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. Two sisters befriend a mysterious foreigner who washes up on the beach of their 1930s Cornish seaside village. (PG-13, 1 hrs., 44 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Elsie Quirk Public Library will be closed for the Fourth of July Holiday.
- Englewood Area MacIntosh Users Group meets at 1 p.m.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Español (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Artists in the Library: Design and Create Original Jewelry 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. For ages 11-18. Design and create a bracelet or necklace with artist Judy Levine. *Registration is required.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.