Are you always searching for that perfect book to bring along to the beach? And don’t you just hate it if your book gets sandy or wet, or when the ocean “breezes” flutter your pages a bit too forcefully, making you maintain a white-knuckle death grip on your beachy read so it won’t fly out of your hands? If any of this is relatable to you, I have just the thing to solve all your “books-at-the-beach” problems!
Meet Libby. Libby is an app that’s designed specifically for downloading e-books and audiobooks directly to your smartphone or tablet. Released by OverDrive, Libby has an easy-to-navigate interface, which delivers a fast and fun digital browsing experience. Just open the Libby app, search for an author or title, and click “borrow” when you find one you like. That’s it!
Now, you may be asking yourself, “What’s the difference between the Libby app and the Overdrive app?” The answer all depends on your personal preferences, and how you like to search and download e-content. The Overdrive app is robust – it’s compatible with a variety of devices, including iPhones and iPads, Android devices, Kindle Fire tablets, as well as Mac, PC, and Windows mobile devices. You can also transfer e-books and audiobooks from a desktop computer or laptop to an MP3 player. I like to think of Overdrive as the “Cadillac” of book apps.
Libby, by contrast, is more like a “Mini Coop” – a simple and streamlined app that makes it easy to download e-books and audiobooks to your iPhone, iPad, or Android phone and tablet. So, the next time you’re soaking up the sun and wish you had a book to read or listen to, give Libby a try. You’ll never have to worry about waterlogged, sandy pages again!
You can find the Libby app (and the Overdrive app, too!) on the Sarasota County Libraries website (www.scgov.net/government/libraries/library-resources/library-app)
Here are the library events for this week:
- Stop in and check out a good book or movie for the weekend!
- Englewood Modern Quilters meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots: Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. When a pilot crashes and tells of conflict in the outside world, Diana, an Amazonian warrior in training, leaves home to fight a war, discovering her full powers and true destiny (PG-13, 2 hrs., 21 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian at 10 a.m. A Reference Librarian will be available for help with e-books, computer basics, or questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30-minute session today by calling 941-861-1207 or by signing up at the Reference Desk.
- Reading Buddies 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. For ages 4-8. Practice reading with a buddy, or have someone read a book to you. Have fun while becoming a better reader. The volunteers are not trained experts, but some to listen and offer help when needed. *Registration is required.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 12:30 p.m.
- Make It! 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Use your imagination and creativity to make an original Do-It-Yourself thing!
- Showtime for Kids: Pirate Treasure Adventure 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Help search for lost treasure and enjoy some awesome magic, amazing balloons, hilarious audience participation, and laugh-out-loud comedy along the way! Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Español (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Teen Mandala Rock Painting 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. For ages 11-18. Unleash your creative side at this Mandala Rock Painting program! *Registration is required.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.