School’s out for summer! That means it’s time to head down to Elsie Quirk to check out our Summer at Your Library series of programs and events. We’ve got a whole lot of creative, artistic, informative, and fun-filled activities for all ages, all summer long. From Pirate Adventures, interactive puppet shows, Library Bingo, and DIY crafts and jewelry-making, to Mad Science: The Mystery of Sound, The Explorer’s Guide to the Solar System, Escape Room, Concerts in the Library, and Rock Painting for all ages – it’s all happening at Elsie Quirk and everyone’s invited!
Our Summer at Your Library program runs June 4th through August 4th, and the theme this year is “Libraries ROCK!” We’re kicking off our Summer Reading event for children ages 3-11 with a super fun Dance Party, complete with music by DJ Jam All Day, and a photo booth for taking selfies with friends. Bring your dancing shoes and your BFF, and get ready to have some fun!
Summer at Your Library is also about learning new things, exploring the world around us, and connecting with our community through music. Elsie Quirk’s Summer Reading Program is open to everyone – kids, teens and adults. Children and young adults can read for a chance to win prizes, and adults are enthusiastically invited to join our Summer Book Discussion Group. Every program and event held at Elsie Quirk is a chance to meet new people, make new friends, learn something new, and have a great time…Isn’t that what summer’s all about?
So, come find yourself at the Library this summer – I look forward to seeing you at Elsie Quirk!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Stop in and check out a good book or movie for the weekend!
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film (PG-13, 2 hrs., 3 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Library Bingo! 10:30 a.m. Join us for Bingo and snacks to celebrate the beginning of our Summer at Your Library *Registration is required.
- Health in Motion Bus 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. The Florida Department of Health of Sarasota County, Health in Motion staff will be on-site to provide no-cost health screenings and referrals for general health and wellness. Nursing staff will help individuals who lack medical insurance find a medical home for ongoing health care through referrals to the Community Health Centers of Sarasota County.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Libraries Rock! Dance Party 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Start the summer off with an exciting dance party! Enjoy music, a photo booth and other fun activities as we kick off Summer at Your Library with DJ Jamaal Day (Jam All Day Entertainment). For children ages 3 to 11.
- LEGO Club 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Work on your own creations or build as a team. We provide the LEGOs, you provide the imagination!
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Teen Movies 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. Come and enjoy free movies on our big screen! Contact the library for movie titles.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.