Hello, Summer! Thursday, June 21st 2018 marks the first day of summer – though it may seem like it’s endless summer here in Florida! Our 2018 Summer at Your Library program is going strong with a fun, creative and exciting lineup of programs and events for all ages!
On Tuesday, June 19th from 10:30-12:00 p.m., Elsie Quirk is presenting a special event, “Artists in the Libraries: Design and Create Original Jewelry.” Attendees can create an original necklace or bracelet that they’ll be proud to show off, while also learning design basics and jewelry fabrication skills. Registration is required, so if you want to get creative and take part in this fun and festive event, call Elsie Quirk Library at (941) 861-1200 to register today!
Calling all future fashionistas! Have you ever wanted to try your hand at sewing? Did you ever think you’d totally win if you were on Project Runway? Well, we’ve got something fun for teens at Elsie Quirk – Our “Teen Basic Sewing” program on Friday, June 22nd at 2:00 p.m. will teach you the basics of sewing and using a sewing machine. Don’t know a button from a bobbin? No problem! Call Elsie Quirk Library to sign up for this creative class, and who knows? Maybe someday we’ll see you at the tents at Fashion Week. Today, Elsie Quirk – Tomorrow, the world!
These are just a sampling of all the great stuff going on at Elsie Quirk all summer long. Check the “Elsie Quirk Library – Events Calendar” to find just the thing for YOU to do!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- LEGO Club 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Work on your own creations or build as a team. We provide the LEGOs, you provide the imagination!
- Englewood Indivisible meets at 2:30 p.m.
- Forty Carrots: Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Read with the Dogs 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Children are invited to read with certified pet therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society. This program encourages conversation and develops reading and communication skills. The dogs love the attention and the kids love the interaction!
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. After her much older husband forces a move to a suburban retirement community, Pippa Lee finds herself heading toward a quiet nervous breakdown. (R, 1 hr., 38 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Artists in the Libraries: Design and Create Original Jewelry 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Design and create an original necklace using exciting beads. Learn the principles of design, such as symmetry, patterns, focal point and color balance. Leave class wearing your own special creation! *Registration is required.
- Reading Buddies 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. For ages 4-8. Practice reading with a buddy, or have someone read a book to you. Have fun while becoming a better reader. The volunteers are not trained experts, but some to listen and offer help when needed. *Registration is required.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Make It! 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Use your imagination and creativity to make an original Do-It-Yourself thing!
- Englewood Pioneer Days Parade Committee meets at 6 p.m.
- Eckanar meets at 6:30 p.m.
- “The Piano Teacher” Book Discussion 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Join the discussion of the book “The Piano Teacher” by Janice Y.K. Lee. Hired by the wealthy Chen family as a piano instructor, Claire Pendleton is seduced by the social life of Hong Kong’s expatriate community, and begins an affair with an enigmatic Englishman with a devastating past.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Peace Initiative Coalition (EPIC) meets at 3 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Español (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Teen Sewing Basics 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. For ages 11-18. Come to this program and learn sewing basics, as well as how to use a sewing machine. *Registration is required.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.