I hope everyone is staying cool during these hot summer days! One way to beat the heat is swinging by Elsie Quirk Library – you can pick out your next beach read or weekend movie, all while basking and relaxing in the sweet, sweet A/C! This year’s Summer Reading Theme is “Libraries Rock!” and there will most definitely be some Rockin’ & Rolling this week at Elsie Quirk! On Wednesday, July 25th at 1:30 p.m., musical artist Scott Blum will get everyone to Feel the Beat with his high-energy, interactive drum circle program, where kids explore sounds and rhythms by “trying their hand” at making joyous music with drums and percussion instruments!
Additionally, to complement our Rockin’ Drum Beat party for kids, Scott Blum is returning on Thursday, July 27th at 2:00 p.m. for a Celtic music performance. It’s going to be fun and festive at Elsie Quirk this week! If you’re stopping in for a book, why not stay for some music? Let us entertain you!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- LEGO Club 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Work on your own creations or build as a team. We provide the LEGOs, you provide the imagination!
- Forty Carrots: Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. A world-weary political journalist picks up the story of a woman’s search for her son, who was taken away decades ago. Based on the book “The Lost Child of Philomena Lee,” by Martin Sixsmith. (PG-13, 1 hr., 38 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Reading Buddies 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. For ages 4-8. Practice reading with a buddy, or have someone read a book to you. Have fun while becoming a better reader. The volunteers are not trained experts, but some to listen and offer help when needed. *Registration is required.
- Make It! 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Use your imagination and creativity to make an original Do-It-Yourself thing!
- Artists in the Libraries: Feel the Beat! Interactive Drum Circle with Scott Blum
1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. An energetic and entertaining experience! This Artists in the Libraries program features hands-on exploration with sounds, rhythms, and drums and percussion instruments. Registration is required and limited to 30 participants.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Concerts in the Libraries: Scott Blum 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. For all ages. Enjoy Celtic music with Scott Blum. This is a Concert in the Libraries program.
- Escape Room 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. For ages 11-18. Solve a series of puzzles and escape the room! Registration is required and limited to 8 participants.This program is sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.