Happy New Year! I hope everyone enjoyed a festive, happy holiday season! And here’s a question: Was anyone gifted a Brand New Bright and Shiny technological device…that they have absolutely NO idea how to operate?! “All I Want for Christmas is…an iPhone I Can’t Unlock Because I Can’t Find the “Home” Button” may not be a Holiday Classic (yet), but it IS a universal experience. (It can’t be just me…right??)
So, if you’ve got a Brand New Bright and Shiny – tablet, smartphone, Alexa, Ring, Oculus Rift – or what have you, and need a bit of guidance on how to get started, don’t worry because Elsie Quirk is here for you! Just stop by the Library with your new device and take advantage of our “Tech Time: One-on-One Help with a Librarian.” Reference Librarians at Elsie Quirk Library are ready to offer customized one-on-one technology help and answer any device-related questions you may have. They can guide you step-by-step on how to download eBooks, music, magazines, and how to stream online content to your device.
Space is limited and registration is required, so make sure to stop by the Reference desk and save your spot, or just call the Reference Desk at 941-861-1207 to make your reservation over the phone.
Come and Find Your Tech Help at the Library!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:15 a.m.
- Forty Carrots: Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. The story of a bride-to-be trying to find her real father, told through the hit songs by 1970s group ABBA. (PG-13, 1hr., 48 min.)
- English for Spanish Speakers – Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes
5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. For ages 13 and up. Adults and seniors welcome. This class is for Spanish speakers who want to improve their English skills in speaking and understanding English.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Englewood Family History Class meets at 10:00 a.m.
- T.E.A.M. Program: Flying Objects! 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Create simple tools to help you learn about a variety of scientific terms related to force and motion. Learn about distance, velocity, trajectory, angle, and so much more! Registration is required and limited to 15 participants. Call the Library at 941-861-1200 for more information.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5:00 p.m.
- World Culture Club 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. For ages 13-18. Bring your friends and discover countries and cultures from around the world! Each month we will feature a different country.
- Short Story Discussion Group 10:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The Short Story Discussion Group meets the SECOND Thursday of each month, November – April. Readings selected from “The Best American Short Stories of the Century” (expanded edition, 1999, edited by John Updike). January’s selection: “Criers and Kibitzers,” by Stanley Elkin.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class for Beginners 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (There are no more seats available for this event, and registration is closed.)
- Spanish Reading Group 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. This is a class for those who can read/speak basic Spanish and reading is at the beginning Intermediate level. To register, contact Señor Dan: email@example.com
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.