On Thursday of this week the Sarasota County Libraries will be in full swing with the Baltimore Orioles and the Big League Reader reading program. From February 1 to March 1 children ages 6-18 can read their way to a free Baltimore Orioles spring training game at Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota.
To get yourself in the lineup to track your progress, run over to the Elsie Quirk Library Youth desk and pick up your scorecard. After you round the bases by reading 3 books, return to the library no later than March 1 to have your scorecard stamped and signed by a library staff member. Then take your stamped scorecard to the Ed Smith Stadium box office by March 7 to get your free ticket to the March 10 game when the Baltimore Orioles take on the Pittsburgh Pirates. Children can also enter a drawing to throw out the ceremonial first pitch!
Be one of the first 100 children to knock it out of the park by completing your scorecard and you will receive a free Big League Reader t-shirt. Wear your shirt to the game and get a free baseball cap! For more details on the Big League Reader program visit scgov.net or in person at any Sarasota County Library.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Stop in and pick up a good book or movie for the weekend.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Great Decisions meets at 10:15 a.m. Discussion topic: “U.S. Global Engagement and the Military”
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film as corruption grows in 1950s L.A., three policemen – one strait-laced, one brutal and one sleazy – investigate a series of murders with their own brand of justice. (R, 2 hrs. 18 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- English for Spanish Speakers/Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes meets at 5:30 p.m. This class is for Spanish speakers, who want to improve their English skills in speaking, and understanding English, with emphasis on correct pronunciation. Students must be able to speak some basic English. Class meets once a week. Señor Dan Duffy will be teaching from the book “English for the Spanish Speaker” book 4, by Kathleen Fisher; Fisher Hill Publishers 5th ed., (2009)
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- The Great Depression, Causes and Cures at 10 a.m. Join moderator, John Ragen for this series of 6 lectures on The Great Depression. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- Wireless Windows Laptops for Beginners at 2 p.m. Bring your Windows laptop and learn hands-on how to navigate to Internet addresses, what the left and right mouse click/touch pad does, how to save to a memory stick/flash drive, how to make and save a document, how to organize files and photos into folders. Registration is required and limited to 12 participants.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 4½ -8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed. Registration is required.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Making Decisions at 1 p.m. This program introduces the idea that making decisions is a skill, discusses why it is an important skill, and identifies the consequences of poor decision making. We will discuss decision making styles, the steps in making decisions, and how to learn from decisions. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- Making Your House Age-Friendly at 5 p.m. This class is useful for anyone interested in planning ahead for housing needs as you age or those looking to support a loved one who is aging or disabled. Sarasota County sustainability staff will present on age-friendly housing strategies and local programs that support them. Registration is required. Call 941-861-9802 for information.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian at 10 a.m. Book a 30-minute session today by calling 941-861-1207 or by signing up at the Reference Desk.
- Great Books Discussion at 10 a.m. “Pragmatism” by William James
- The Great Depression, Causes and Cures at 10 a.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Shadows”.
- Knitting Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society Board meets at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Mac Users Group meets at 3 p.m.
- AARP Tax Aide at 10:30 a.m. Free assistance for federal returns. By appointment only. You must schedule your appointment in person at Elsie Quirk Library’s front desk.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class at 11:30 a.m. This is a beginner’s class, for developing basic communication skills in the language. Registration is required and limited to 50 participants.
- The Age of Henry the VIII at 2 p.m. Join us for the last 8 lectures in this DVD series. Moderator, Tom Swepston, will show two 30-minute lectures per session with time for discussion at the end. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library. February 2 lectures: “Queen Anne Boleyn” and “Two Queens – Jane Seymour & Anne of Cleeves”
- Spanish Reading Group at 3 p.m. This class is for those who have taken the beginner’s class, as well as any others who can read/speak basic Spanish. To attend, please contact Señor Dan by email at email@example.com
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.