Happy Valentine’s Day from the Elsie Quirk Library! The library is a perfect place to spend Valentine’s Day. I sense your skepticism, but hear me out. You can come with your soul-mate, your best friend, your tentative sweetheart, or your own fabulous self—and there is no judging, no pressure, and no cost. You can gaze moon-eyed at each other as you peruse the DVDs for a stay-at-home date night movie; you can sit in the reading garden and lose yourself in a lush romance novel; you can ignore the whole nonsense and read the paper in peace; you can search the cookbooks for Gal-entine’s potluck ideas; or, if you’re feeling good and jaded, you can ask the head librarian for her 5 Devil’s Heart Cup Cakes recipe.
At the library, there is always a friendly face to greet you, and there are abundant words of mystery, possibility, beauty, thoughtfulness, comfort, and all the many kinds of love. At the library, you can come as you are and be yourself, and sometimes you are even surprised with chocolate. At the library, it is always Valentine’s Day!
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
This is a beginner’s class, for developing basic communication skills.
- Spanish Reading Group 3 – 4:30 p.m.
Reading is at the beginning-intermediate level.
- Suncoast Writers Guild Readers Workshop 10:15–11:45 a.m.
- LEGO Club 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Children ages 5 to 12. LEGO bricks will be provided – just bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- The Library is Closed for President’s Day
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m.–Noon. Get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscaping questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County.
- Decline of the Middle Class. 10:15 – 11:15 a.m.
A class involving the changing of America’s economic future and the impact of these changes on the Middle Class.
- Englewood Area Computer Users Group 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – S.I.G. Britain/Europe
- iPads For Beginners: Part 1 10 – 11:30 a.m.
Learn hands on iPad basics, internet browsing, downloading apps, how to take a photo and more! iPads are available for participants to use. If you bring your own iPad you will need an Apple ID. Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
All are welcome. Bienvenue à tous.
- Teen Advisory Board 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
The board is open to students age 11-18, to help plan library programs and initiatives, and provide input on library services. Refreshments provided.
- Englewood Modern Quilters 10:15 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- The Reading Discussion Group 10:15 a.m. – Noon
- Family Story Time 10:30 – 11:15 a.m.
For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that
- Quirky Knitters 1–3 p.m.
All are welcome to knit and chat.
- iPads for Beginners: Part 2 3:15 – 4:45 p.m.
This class builds on the iPads for Beginners Part 1 class. Topics will include, using email, saving and sharing, organizing apps, & also how to download Sarasota Library eBooks (Sarasota Library card and pin # is required). iPads are available for participants to use. If you bring your own iPad you will need an Apple ID. Registration is required and limited to 10 participants.