‘Tis the Season…to Find Yourself at the Library, Englewood! It’s the most wonderful time of the year, to be sure, and all of us “Library Elves” here at Elsie Quirk have an exciting, fun-filled, lineup of holiday events and programs. We promise your December will be most memorable!
On Wednesday, Dec. 12th, from 3:30-4:30pm, we’re presenting an extra-special “S.T.E.A.M.-themed Holiday Crafts & Carols” event for children ages 5-11. Sing along with festive music while creating your own unique ornament or holiday craft. Registration is required for this event, so please call Elsie Quirk Library at (941) 861-1200, or swing on in and save your place in person!
Now, I have a question that’s Just for Kids: Have you ever drawn Santa’s face? (Yes, all hands are up, I see.) Okay, how about this? Have you ever used Technology to draw Santa’s face? (Hey, where did all those hands go??) Light up BOTH sides of your brain and get a l’il bit Creative and a l’il bit Techie at our “Winter Break: Drawing Santa Faces” event, which takes place on Friday, Dec. 20th at 10:30 a.m. Kids ages 7-13 will joy a guided drawing lesson just for kids using Access Video on Demand Just for Kids: Art with Joy. Registration is required, so don’t forget to call Elsie Quirk Library at (941) 861-1200 or stop in for more information.
Continuing our seasonal theme, Elsie Quirk’s Monday Night Movies for the month of December will showcase beloved holiday classics that will make you smile and get you into the holiday spirit!
So, if you’re new in town, or just got back in town, or somehow just found yourself walking along Dearborn, come on down to Elsie Quirk Library. It’s a great place to meet new people and learn new things. Or, perhaps you’ll discover a quiet, cozy corner or spot, where you can get nice and comfortable, and then get lost in a really, really good book.
Now is the very best time to Find Yourself at the Library. There is always something going on at Elsie Quirk, and I can’t wait to see you here!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:15 a.m.
- Spanish Storytime 10:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. For ages 3-11. Learn new words and practice language skills via bilingual stories, songs and activities.
- Forty Carrots: Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Read with the Dogs 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Children are invited to read with certified pet therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society. The dogs love the attention and the kids love the interactions!
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In this delightful musical, a song-and-dance team becomes romantically involved with a sister act and team up to save the failing Vermont inn of their former commanding general. (2 hrs.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Family Garden Club of Englewood meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Geometric Design Jewelry Making 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Design and create jewelry in a bold geometric pattern. Registration is required; please call Elsie Quirk Library at (941) 861-1200 for more information.
- French Conversation Club meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Englewood Family History Class meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society meets at 1:00 p.m.
- T.E.A.M. Program: “Holiday Crafts and Carols” Make & Take 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Sing along to Holiday songs while creating ornaments to take home! Registration is required and limited to 15 children.
- Englewood Authors meet at 5:00 p.m.
- World Culture Club 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. For ages 11-18. Bring your friends and learn about different countries and cultures from around the world!
- Short Story Discussion Group 10:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The Short Story Discussion Group meets the SECOND Thursday of each month, November – April. Readings selected from “The Best American Short Stories of the Century” (expanded edition, 1999, edited by John Updike). December’s selection: “Verona: A Young Woman,” by Harold Brodkey and “The Ledge,” by Lawrence Hall.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Athena: Wisdom & Wit meets at 11:45 a.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.