Hablas español? Would you like to learn? Señor Dan Duffy is returning again this winter to provide FREE Spanish classes at the Elsie Quirk Library. Registration is now open, and classes take place on Fridays from January through April.
Señor Dan teaches a “Basic Conversational Spanish” class from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Fridays. This is a beginner’s class for interested attendees that speak little to no Spanish, but are interested in developing basic Spanish language communication skills. Participants will use the book Spanish in 10 Minutes a Day, by Kristine Kershul, which can be purchased at local bookstores and online. Space is limited and registration is required, so take advantage of this great opportunity and register online at scgov.net/library by clicking on the “Library Events” link.
For those who have already completed the Basic Conversational class, or who can already read/speak basic Spanish, and would like to practice and develop their skills, check out Señor Dan’sSpanish Reading Group on Friday afternoons from 3:00p.m. – 4:30 p.m. To register for this class, please email Señor Dan directly at email@example.com.
Finally, Señor Dan will teach an English Class for Spanish Speakers from 5:30 p.m.- 7 p.m. on Monday evenings – Gratis clase de Inglés para hispano hablantes. This class is for Spanish speakers who want to improve their English skills in speaking and understanding English, with emphasis on pronunciation. Señor Dan will be teaching from the book English for the Spanish Speaker” (Book 4) byKathleen Fisher. Para más información: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, I know a place to go! Find Yourself at the Library and we’ll get you sorted. Or, if you find yourself in the neighborhood, stop by Elsie Quirk and register in person.
¡Muchas gracias, Englewood! ¡Feliz Navidad!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:15 a.m.
- LEGO Club 1:30 a.m. – 3:30 a.m.For ages 5-11. Work on your own creations or build as a team. We provide the LEGOs, you provide the imagination!
- Englewood Modern Quilters meet at 10:00 a.m.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. A timeless holiday classic! An angel is sent from Heaven to help a desperately frustrated businessman by showing him what life would have been like had he never existed. (2 hrs.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Library Bingo! 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Do You Feel Lucky? If so, wear your lucky t-shirt and enjoy snacks and fun at Elsie Quirk! Who knows, it might be your lucky day! Registration is required and limited to 20 participants.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 10:00 a.m.
- French Conversation Clubmeets at 10:00 a.m.
- Englewood Family History Class meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Teen Advisory Group (T.A.G.) 5:30p.m. – 6:30 p.m. For ages 13-18. Got something to say? Join T.A.G. and let your voice be heard! Share ideas and input on teen events!
- Reading Discussion Group 10:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The Reading Discussion Group meets the THIRD Thursday of each month, November – April. Elsie Quirk librarians Alyssa Lopez and Amie Lemire will serve as co-facilitators for this group. December’s selection: Born a Crime, by Trevor Noah.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Drawing Santa Faces 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. For ages 7-13. This is a guided drawing lesson using AccessVideo on Demand Just for Kids: Art with Joy. Everyone will create a unique finished portrait of Santa. Art supplies provided. Registration is required and limited to 15 children.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.