If you haven’t heard, Elsie Quirk Library has a beautiful reading garden thanks to the generosity of the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library. Now that cooler weather has arrived, this is the perfect time to visit the library and enjoy the garden.
The Golden Reading Garden was funded and built by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library to commemorate the library’s 50th anniversary. It has a lovely brick paver path that winds around the northwest portion of the library property. Along the path are numerous plants, flowers and trees that are maintained by the Friends Garden Committee volunteers. There are benches and a gazebo for folks to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
If you are looking for a unique gift for that person who has everything or would like to honor or memorialize a loved one, consider purchasing a personalized paver brick for the garden pathway. Each brick may include up to three engraved lines of your special sentiment and will be placed as a forever memory in the Golden Reading Garden. Paver bricks are $75.00 each and may be purchased in the Friends Bookstore located at the entrance of the library.
Proceeds from paver brick sales helps the Friends to enhance the programs, collections and operations of the library that are not provided for in the library’s regular budget. For more information please visit the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library Bookstore or online at friendsofelsiequirk.org.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild – Long Writers meet at 10:15 a.m.
- Forty Carrots: Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Spanish Storytime 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. For ages 3-11. Bilingual stories, songs and activities. Learn new words and practice language skills.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In this heartwarming classic film, a crooner and a hoofer vie for the affections of a beautiful up-and-coming performer at an Inn that is only open on holidays. (1 hr., 40 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Health in Motion Bus 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. The Florida Department of Health of Sarasota County, Health in Motion staff will be at Elsie Quirk Library to provide no-cost health screening and referrals for general health and wellness. The bus will be located in the west parking lot of the Library.
- Englewood Shell Club meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:00 p.m.
- French Conversation Club meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Englewood Family History Class meets at 10:00 a.m.
- LEGO Club 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Calling All Kids! Do you like LEGOs? Work on your own creations or build as a team. We provide the LEGOs, you provide the imagination!
- Great Books Discussion Group 10:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The Great Books Discussion Group meets the FIRST Thursday of each month, November – April. December’s selection: “Culture and Anarchy: Parts 3 & 4,” by M. Arnold.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Genealogy Research meets at 10:30 a.m. and at 1:00 p.m. Registration is required. Please call the Library at (941) 861-1200 for more information.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.