If you’re still looking for something to do this summer, why not join a Summer Book Discussion at Elsie Quirk Library? The next discussion is on Thursday, August 15 at 10:30 a.m. Librarian, Alyssa Scanlon will be leading a discussion of the novel, “Circling the Sun” by Paula McLain.
This story takes place in colonial Kenya in the 1920’s where readers meet a fearless and captivating young woman, Beryl Markham a record-setting aviator who finds herself caught up in a passionate love triangle before she discovers her true calling. This powerful tale reveals the extraordinary adventures of a woman before her time, the exhilaration of freedom and its cost and the tenacity of the human spirit.
There’s still time to check out a copy of “Circling the Sun” to read before the discussion. Check the online catalog at scgov.net/library for availability.
Do you enjoy book discussions? Try hosting your own! The library has just the right tools to help you plan your own discussion. Sarasota County Libraries has over 200 Book Club Bags available for checkout. Book Club Bags are essentially a book discussion in a bag. Each bag contains ten copies of a single title, an author biography, discussion questions, and a list of suggested reading.
A full listing of Book Club Bags can also be found in the online catalog. Once you make your selection all that’s left is to gather a few friends, read the book and enjoy the discussion!
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- Stop in and check out a good book or movie for the weekend!
- Englewood Modern Quilters meet at 10 a.m.
- Suncoast Writers Guild Workshop at 10:15 a.m.
- No Forty Carrots Partners in Play today
- Read with the Dogs at 3:30 p.m. Children are invited to read to certified pet therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film takes place at an archaeological dig in the ancient city of
- Hamunaptra, where an American serving in the French Foreign Legion accidentally awakens a mummy who begins to wreak havoc as he searches for the reincarnation of his long-lost love. (Rated PG-13, 2hrs 5mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscaping questions.
- This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County.
- Baila Miller Art Lecture at 2 p.m. Join Baila as she discusses the works of Vincent Van Gogh. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5 p.m.
- No Story Time Today
- Summer Book Discussion at 10:30 a.m.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.