Sarasota County Libraries supports early learning and literacy in many ways through programs such as story times, puppet shows, art activities and science experiments. These types of programs and activities encourage parents to talk, sing, read, write and play with their child. Reading to infants, toddlers and preschoolers has been proven to benefit brain development and promote a lifelong interest in reading.
You can help develop a lifelong interest in reading and at the same time help prepare your child for kindergarten by reading together. Parents and children can participate in the “1000 Books Before Kindergarten” challenge. This free program is open to children ages birth to 5. The concept is simple, read 1,000 books with your child to before they start kindergarten to set them on the path for success in school.
Another great opportunity that will help your child to get to know sounds, words, language and early literacy skills is our weekly Family Story Time program. Family Story Time also helps to spark your child’s imagination and stimulate their curiosity through stories, music and movement and crafts. It’s also a great way to make new friends too!
Visit the Youth Services desk at Elsie Quirk Library for more information about Family Story Time programs and to get started with “1,000 Books Before Kindergarten” challenge. Anytime is a good time to share a good book or story!
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- Spanish Study Group meets at 10:15 a.m.
- Come on in! We’re open regular hours today.
- All Sarasota County Libraries are closed for Labor Day
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscaping questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Family Tree Maker at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Board Meeting at 1 p.m.
- LEGO Club meets at 6 p.m. Children ages 5-12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination.
- LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy and school readiness activities.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Area MacIntosh Users Group meets at 1:30 p.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.