What to do if you love to read, but can’t visit Elsie Quirk Library due to a temporary or long-term physical or visual disability? Not to worry – if you can’t come to the library, the library will come to you! I am here to tell you that you can still access your favorite library books and materials, all without leaving the comfort of your home. Sarasota County Libraries offers a service called “Books By Mail.” No need to worry about finding a way to get to the library, because we deliver all your favorite books right to your doorstep!
Books By Mail sends library materials through the mail in zippered bags to library patrons. This includes regular and large-print books, audiobooks, music CDs, Playaways, and descriptive video recordings (DVDs and VHS). You can request library materials by phone (941-861-2503), by inserting a written list of titles into your zippered bag when it’s time to send it back, or by accessing the online catalog at Scgov.net/library. Please note that if you’re using the online catalog to request items, you must choose “Bookmobile” as your pick-up location.
When it’s time to return your library materials, all you have to do is place your items back into the zippered bag, remove the address label from the pocket on the bag and flip it over so that the library address is visible. Re-insert the address label (with the “library address” side of the label displayed), and finally seal the bag with an enclosed plastic tie.
So, if you know someone who can no longer access the library, but still wants to take advantage of our wonderful and wide-ranging collections, please spread the word about the “Books By Mail” service. It’s easy to get started – just call the Books By Mail Office at 941-861-2503 – and we’ll bring the library to you!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Stop by the library and pick up a great book or movie for the weekend!
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. We will be screening the charming sequel to ”The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.” (PG 2 hrs., 2 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml
- Athena: Wisdom & Wit meets at 11:00 a.m.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5:00 p.m.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Suncoast Writers Guild – Poetry meets at 10:15 a.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.