Recently, NPR published an article titled “The 200 Greatest Songs By 21st Century Women.” It’s a fascinating and comprehensive list, and invites deep introspection and discussion about 200 songs that have elevated, redefined and explored myriad new musical directions. In other words, check out this list and enjoy endless “debates” with friends and family!
But what if you want more than just reading about these inspiring songs – what if you want to take a listen and decide for yourself what’s the best songs from the 21st century’s female artists, and maybe discover some new artists and songs along the way? Well, I’m here to tell you that you have an all-access pass to all this and more through an awesome app called Freegal Music.
Download the Freegal Music app from iTunes, the Google Play store, or Amazon. You can also access Freegal from www.scgov.net/library: On the left side of the page, under Library Resources, click on “Mobile Apps” and scroll down until you see “Freegal Music.” Visit https://scgov.freegalmusic.com/home and click “Log In” and enter your library card number and your PIN. Or, if you’re going the app route, just open the Freegal Music app, enter your zip code and select Sarasota County Libraries. Sign in with your library card number and pin number, and PRESTO! You are now free to roam about and explore an (almost) limitless world of FREE and LEGAL music – hence, FREEGAL! Browse through Freegal’s vast collection of 15+ million songs across more than 300 different genres. You can also download or stream music through any compatible device, such as your smartphones, tablets, Kindle Fire, computer, etc.
So, what are you waiting for?? Check out Freegal music and find your new favorite Song of the Summer!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10:00 a.m.
- Read With the Dogs 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. Children are invited to read with certified pet therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society. This program encourages conversation and develops reading and communication skills. The dogs love the attention and the kids love the interactions!
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. A five-year-old Indian boy gets lost on the streets of Calcutta, far away from home. He survives many challenges before being adopted by a couple in Australia. 25 years later, he sets out to find his lost family. Adapted from the book “A Long Way Home,” by author Saroo Brierley. (PG-13 1 hr., 58 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Eckankar meets at 6:30 p.m.
- “The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto” Book Discussion 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Come down to Elsie Quirk Library for a discussion of the book “The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto” by Mitch Albom. Sent to America at age nine with nothing but an old guitar, Frankie Presto achieves success on the mid-twentieth-century music scene before becoming overburdened by his ability to affect people’s futures through his music.
- Stop by the library to pick up a great book or movie for the weekend!
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.