Celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Children’s Book Week, April 29 – May 4, 2019 with Sarasota County Libraries! Join us throughout Sarasota County for free events, story times, Meet Pete the Cat, book and comic book giveaways, writing workshops, and more!
Research shows that kids who use the library and who are read to at home do better in school. Visiting the library fosters your child’s curiosity and innate desire to learn, since there are not only books, but resources and programs on just about any topic they can imagine.
Elsie Quirk Library offers themed Story Time programs that feature early literacy and school readiness activities that include stories, music and movement, and crafts for little ones ages 0-5. It’s a great way to introduce them to the library and cultivate a life-long interest in reading. Story Time takes place on Thursday mornings at 10:30 a.m.
Our Creation Station programs offer children and teens the opportunity to enhance their desire to learn in a fun and exciting way. These programs encourage creativity and help to develop problem-solving and team building skills. Today, April 27, we invite teens in to learn some basic coding techniques that will help them to build and program LEGO WeDo Robots. This program will take place in our Youth Program Room at 2 p.m. for ages 9-18.
Check out our online events calendar at scgov.net/library for upcoming Story Time, Creation Station and Children’s Book Week programs.
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- Teen Creation Station: LEGO WeDo Robots at 2 p.m. Registration is recommended and limited to 10 participants ages 9-18.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Englewood Modern Quilters meets at 10:15 a.m.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film is the story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the U.S. space program. (PG, 127 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Flood Zone Map Changes Workshop at 10:15 a.m. This workshop is for anyone who has questions about flood risks, zones, insurance regulations and pending map changes: especially residents, professional lenders, insurance agents and realtors.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Board Meeting at 1 p.m.
- LEGO Club meets at 6 p.m. Children ages 5-12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy and school readiness activities that feature stories, music and movement, and crafts. Today’ theme: “Pizza!”
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m. to knit and chat.
- Englewood Area MacIntosh Users Group meets at 1:30 p.m.
- Stop in and check out a good book or movie for the weekend!
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.