While the library will always be a haven for the printed page, it is also evolving to meet the information needs of today’s society. Technology has already changed the world, and we are here to help you keep up with the changes. From instructive books and movies, to group classes or one-on-one assistance, we want to provide the tools you need for whatever technology challenges you want to conquer.
At Elsie Quirk Library, we offer a variety of one-on-one tech help sessions with either a technology volunteer or one of our knowledgeable Reference Librarians. These free 30-minute sessions provide an opportunity for you to get one-on-one technology help regarding your tablet, mobile device, or computer. The tech volunteers and reference librarians are happy to offer their assistance to provide solutions for your specific questions or learning needs. They can also help with instructions on downloading eBooks from the Cloud Library or Overdrive to your device.
Check the library calendar for the next “Tech Time: One on One” tech help date and call the Elsie Quirk Library Reference desk at 941-861-1207 to reserve a session. You can also find an assortment of other technology classes throughout Sarasota County Libraries, all are open to the public and free of charge.
Technology can be intimidating, but our friendly staff wants to help make it a little less scary. Don’t be shy, stop by and let us know how we can help!
Here are the library events for this week:
- LEGO Club 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-9. Work on your own creations or build as a team. We provide the LEGOs, you provide the imagination!
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire, and France are surrounded by the German Army, and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II (PG-13, 1h 46min). Contact the library for movie titles.
- English for Spanish Speakers/Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes meets at 5:30 p.m.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- TECH TIME: One-On-One Help with a Librarian 10:0 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. A Reference Librarian will be available for help with e-books, computer basics, or questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30-minute session today by calling 941-861-1207 or by signing up at Elsie Quirk’s Reference Desk.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 12:30 p.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society meets at 1:00 p.m.
- Teen Book Club 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. For ages 11-18. Hang out with us and join in on our monthly book discussion. Contact the library for this month’s book title.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and play.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1:00 p.m. to knit and chat.
- BAILA MILLER: Ballet Russe 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Baila Miller’s fine arts programs are high quality multimedia presentations that explore the role of art, architecture, cinema and photography as well as orchestral and operatic influences in the development of modern culture. Join Baila as she discusses the history of the Ballet Russe. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library. Seating is available on a first- come-first-served basis and will be permitted 15 minutes prior to the program start time.
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class at 11:30 a.m. This is a beginner’s class, for developing basic communication skills in the language.
- Spanish Reading Group meets at 3 p.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.