The Sarasota County Libraries supports early learning and literacy in many ways through programs such as story times, puppet shows, art activities and science experiments. These types of programs and activities encourage parents to talk, sing, read, write and play with their child. Reading to infants, toddlers and preschoolers has been proven to benefit brain development and promote a lifelong interest in reading.
You can help develop a lifelong interest in reading and at the same time help prepare your child for kindergarten by reading together. Parents and children can participate in the “1000 Books Before Kindergarten” challenge at Elsie Quirk Library. This free program is open to children ages birth to 5. The concept is simple, read 1,000 books with your child before they start kindergarten.
To get started visit the Youth Services desk at the library to register and pick up your reading log. Each time you read a book together, fill in a circle on your log. Once you and your child have read 25 books, you can bring the log in for a sticker and then for every 100 books read, your child will receive a small prize. When you have read 1,000 books your child will receive a certificate and a final prize. If you read just one book a night, you will have read 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years!
“1000 Books Before Kindergarten” program is now offered at all Sarasota County Libraries. Take time to visit the library today and take advantage of all that we offer. Learn about free library programs and resources for families and check out some great children’s books.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Stop in and check out a good book or movie for the weekend!
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Englewood Modern Quilters meet at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Indivisible meets at 1:30 p.m.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film a married woman realizes how unhappy her marriage is, and that her life needs to go in a different direction. After a painful divorce, she takes off on a round-the-world journey to “find herself”. (PG-13, 2 hrs. 13 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- English for Spanish Speakers/Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes meets at 5:30 p.m. This class is for Spanish speakers, who want to improve their English skills in speaking, and understanding English, with emphasis on correct pronunciation. Students must be able to speak some basic English.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Health in Motion Bus will be in the library parking lot from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. The Florida Department of Health of Sarasota County, Health in Motion staff will be on-site to provide no-cost health screenings and referrals for general health and wellness. Nursing staff will help individuals who lack medical insurance find a medical home for ongoing health care through referrals to the Community Health Centers of Sarasota County.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society Board meets at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Pioneer Days Parade Committee meets at 6 p.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is
- Englewood Area MacIntosh Users Group meets at 1 p.m.
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.