Join us for an exciting meet-the-author event on Monday, April 16 at 2 p.m. Tampa Bay Times columnist, Craig Pittman will be at Elsie Quirk Library to discuss his book “Oh Florida! How America’s Weirdest State Influences the Country.”
“Oh Florida!” is an entertaining book about the uniqueness of the state of Florida. It is the first book to explain why Florida is so wild and weird and why that’s ok! In the book Pittman states “My goal is to make you see Florida the way I see it, to appreciate Florida the way we natives do, to relish its fantastic flavors and wild variety.”
Pittman is a best-selling author as well as an award-winning journalist. He is a native Floridian and lives in St. Pete with his wife and two children. In 2013, he wrote a popular blog “Oh Florida” which became the basis for this book. For more information about Craig Pittman visit his website at craigpittman.com. Check out “Oh Florida!” and Pittman’s other works at the library.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Spanish Story Time at 10:30 a.m. For ages 3 and up. Bilingual stories, songs, and activities. Learn new words and practice language skills.
- Englewood Indivisible meets at 2:30 p.m.
- Englewood Genealogy Society – Reunion SIG meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Craig Pittman: “Oh Florida” at 2 p.m. Sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film takes place in the early 1900s when three brothers and their father who live in the remote wilderness of Montana are affected by betrayal, history, love, nature and war. (R, 2 hrs. 13 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- English for Spanish Speakers/Gratis Clase de Ingles para Hispanohablantes meets at 5:30 p.m. This class is for Spanish speakers, who want to improve their English skills in speaking, and understanding English, with emphasis on correct pronunciation. Students must be able to speak some basic English.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian 10 a.m. – Noon. Need help your iPad or tablet? Reserve a 30-minute session today by calling 941-861-1207 or by signing up at the Reference Desk.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – DNA SIG meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Athena: Wisdome & Wit at 11 a.m.
- Englewood Authors at 5 p.m.
- Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) meets at 5:30 p.m. For ages 11-18. Come join the group and provide input and help with library programs.
- Eckankar meets at 6 p.m.
- Teen Game Night at 6:30 p.m. For ages 9-18. This is an open invitation for teens and tweens to play video games on our Wii and Xbox 360.
- Englewood Genealogy Society – Beginning Genealogy SIG at 10 a.m.
- Reading Discussion Group at 10:15 a.m. April’s selection: “The Locust and the Bird” by Hanan Al-Shaykh
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Dolphins”.
- Englewood Peace Initiative Coalition (EPIC) meets at 3 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Basic Conversational Spanish Class at 11:30 a.m. This is a beginner’s class, for developing basic communication skills in the language.
- Spanish Reading Group at 3 p.m. This class is for those who have taken the beginner’s class, as well as any others who can read/speak basic Spanish. To attend, please contact Señor Dan by email at email@example.com
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.