Holy nick of time Batman! It’s finally here! Free Comic Book Day at the Library! Sarasota County Libraries and the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library have partnered with The Dark Side, an independent comic book store in Sarasota, to provide free comic books to our library customers. Comic book fans of all ages and those new to comics can get special issues for free!
Comics are an original American art form, created in the early 20th century. Comic books are fun to read, featuring a wide range of diverse story lines that capture the imagination of readers. If you like to read comic books you might also want to try out a graphic novel. Graphic novels are like comic books since they use sequential art to tell a story, but are in the form of a paperback book. The library has a large collection of graphic novels available for readers of all ages to borrow.
A limited supply of free comic books will be available in the Youth section from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. today at Elsie Quirk Library. So stop in and get yours before they’re up, up and away! Check out the graphic novel section while you’re here too!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Free Comic Book Day! 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Suncoast Humane Society meets at 3 p.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Englewood Modern Quilters meet at 10 a.m.
- Monday Night Movies at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film (PG-13, 2 hrs. 13 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Librarian 10 a.m. – Noon. Need help your iPad or tablet? Reserve a 30-minute session today by calling 941-861-1207 or by signing up at the Reference Desk.
- Friends of the Englewood Archives Board meets at 10:30 a.m.
- Englewood Camera Club – Summer Shutterbugs meets at 1 p.m.
- Athena: Wisdom and Wit meets at 11 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society meets at 1 p.m.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead! at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Explore fundamental concepts of S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math). Fun, engaging, hands on learning. Today we’ll use glow sticks and some math skills to create a “glow city”. Registration is required and limited to 15 participants.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5 p.m.
- Teen Anime Club meets at 5:30 p.m. Interested in anime? Come to the Teen Anime Club where each month we will watch a different anime film or series, and afterwards discuss. Ages 11-18. Contact the library for film titles.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is
- Quirky Knitters meet at 1 p.m.
- All Sarasota County Libraries are closed today for staff training.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.