At Elsie Quirk Library, we are celebrating Children’s Book Week, which runs May 3-9. The theme for this year is: Reading is a Superpower, and we invite all of the community’s young superheroes to come in and pick up Superhero Activity Cards in our youth department.
Speaking of superheroes, check out our graphic novel displays in both the teen and adult sections. You will find your classic favorites, but we also invite you to explore the wide range of topics and styles available in graphic novels. Intrigued, buy can’t get down to the library? With your Sarasota County library card, you can access graphic novels on Hoopla from the comfort of your own electronic device. Check out the Sarasota County Libraries website for more information, or give us a call and we’ll help you get started.
No interest in graphic novels, but need help accessing other digital resources? Make a Tech by Zoom appointment with one of our crackerjack staff members. We can walk you through e-books, streaming movies and music, or solving that pesky formatting issue in Word. Appointments are available every Tuesday, and can be scheduled online at scgovlibrary.librarymarket.com or by calling the Elsie Quirk Library at 861-1225.
A Sampling of Library Events, Opportunities, and Resources to Explore:
Take home bags full of amusement.
- Journal Kits: All ages can enjoy our journal kits—create your own journal and record your observations.
- DIY Time Capsule: Coming soon…pick up a time capsule kit and save mementoes of this momentous time we are living in.
- Job Seekers Kit: A purple folder packed with helpful tips, resources, and tools for job seekers, available at our community resource table.
- Care Kits: Reusable sinch bags with useful everyday items for those in need, such as personal hygiene supplies, sox, first aid supplies, and Kind Bars, available by asking any library staff member.
- Snack Bags: Full of popular snacks for children and teens 18 and under, available in the youth department.
Sign up or learn more at: scgovlibrary.librarymarket.com/events
- Alphabet Storytime: Online storytime for kids, enjoy Elsie Quirk’s own Cris and George reading books with their favorite letters, and discover new library friends from other branches.
- Tech by Zoom: Need help with your new phone? Can’t figure out how to get e-books on your iPad? Want to find out how to make Word stop putting spaces where you don’t want them? Set up a tech by Zoom appointment with an Elsie Quirk staff member by registering online or giving us a call. We are also happy to talk you through setting up a Zoom account over the phone.
- Trivia Walk: Keep an eye out for Elsie Quirk’s trivia walks, happening throughout the 100 days of centennial celebration. Pick up an answer card at the desk, stroll the walkway to read our trivia boards, and submit your answers to be entered into a drawing for intriguing prizes.