Know your zone and be prepared. You are invited to come and learn valuable information at the Flood Zone Workshop on Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 10:15 a.m. at Elsie Quirk Library. This workshop is for anyone who has questions about flood risks, zones, insurance regulations and pending map changes: especially residents, professional lenders, insurance agents and realtors.
This will be an informative presentation by Sarasota County’s Community Rating System Coordinator and Certified Floodplain Manager, Desiree Companion and will be followed by time for your questions and answers. She will share information about the many County resources that are available and provide simple explanations that will help you to understand flood zones, risks, maps, storm surge maps, why and when there are map and insurance changes, what are the special regulations, what is a Base Flood Elevation, the 100-year flood event term, and “Do I need an Elevation Certificate?”.
Registration is not required to attend. It is extremely important for residents and business owners to know and understand their zone so they can be fully prepared in the event of storm surge or flood. For more information about this workshop and Sarasota County’s Flood Map Information Services please contact Desiree Companion at (941) 861-5000.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Find Yourself at the Library! Come in and find a good book or movie for the weekend.
- Englewood Shell Club meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Society for Financial Awareness meets at 1:30 p.m.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film while waiting for their big breaks, two proper L.A. dreamers, a suavely-charming, soft-spoken, jazz pianist and a brilliant, vivacious playwright, attempt to reconcile aspirations and relationship in a magical old-school romance. (PG-13, 2 hrs. 8 min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Flood Zone Map Workshop at 10:15 a.m.
- Health in Motion Bus will be in the library parking lot from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. The Florida Department of Health of Sarasota County, Health in Motion staff will be on-site to provide no-cost health screenings and referrals for general health and wellness. Nursing staff will help individuals who lack medical insurance find a medical home for ongoing health care through referrals to the Community Health Centers of Sarasota County.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- Englewood Genealogical Society Board meets at 1 p.m.
- Venice Florida Corvette Club meets at 5:30 p.m.
- LEGO Club 6:00 p.m. Children ages 5-12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. is open to ages 0-5. This week’s theme is “Fire Safety”. The Englewood Fire Department will be our special guest. Come check out the big red fire engine!
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Area MacIntosh Users Group meets at 1 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol meets at 10 a.m.
- E.O. (Philanthropic Educational Organization) meets at 10 a.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.