The start of October signals the start of many of our fall programs here at Elsie Quirk Library. Make plans now to attend the next book discussion on Thursday, October 20th at 10:30 am. Librarian, Alyssa Lopez will be leading a discussion on the book “The Paris Wife” by Paula McLain. This novel is based in Chicago, 1920. Hadley Richardson is a quiet twenty-eight-year-old who has all but given up on love and happiness—until she meets Ernest Hemingway and her life changes forever. Following a whirlwind courtship and wedding, the pair set sail for Paris, where they become the golden couple in a lively and volatile group—the fabled “Lost Generation”—that includes Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound, and F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald. You can check out a copy to read from the library to be prepared for the discussion. The Friends of Elsie Quirk Library book discussion groups, Great Books, Short Story Group, and Reading Discussion Group will resume on Thursdays in November. Check the library calendar for all of the discussion titles for these groups.
If you’d like to host your own book discussion the library can help. We have over 200 Book Club Bags available for checkout. It’s basically a book discussion in a bag. Each bag contains ten copies of a single title, an author biography, discussion questions, and a list of suggested reading. Bags can be checked out for 8 weeks. We have Book Club Bags for juvenile, young adult and adult readers. To view the titles that are available go to the Sarasota County Libraries’ website at www.scgov.net/library click on catalog, then Book Club Bags. Once you make your selection the next steps will be to gather a few friends, read the book and enjoy the discussion!
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- Suncoast Writer’s Guild Long Writers Group meets 10:30 am – 12 noon.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play at 10:15 am and 11:15 am. For children up to age 5 and their parent or caregiver. This class is a chance for you to be a partner in your child’s playtime. Forty Carrots’ learning materials give your child a chance to use his motor skills, while you chat with trained parenting educators. Each session is limited to 12 families on a first come, first served basis.
- Children ages 5 and up (younger if accompanied by a caregiver) can Read with the Dogs at 3:30 pm. Practice your reading and communication skills while reading with certified therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society. The dogs love the attention and the kids love the interaction.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 pm. In tonight’s film a smart but sensible new graduate lands a job as an assistant to Miranda Priestly, the demanding editor-in-chief of a high fashion magazine. (PG-13, 1hr 49min, 2006)
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- Men’s Garden Club meets 10:00 am – 12 noon for their first club meeting of the season.
- Englewood Camera Club meets 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead – CODING. For ages 5-7 at 3:30 p.m. Learn how to code using Scratch jr. Participants will use the library iPads to learn about this basic digital skill. *(For ages 5-7 only). Registration is limited to 12 participants. Children should register once for all sessions.
- At 10:00 am staff from the Sarasota County Public Utilities Stormwater division will present a Flood Zone Workshop. This workshop is for anyone who has questions about flood risks, zones, insurance regulations and pending map changes: especially residents, professional lenders, insurance agents and realtors.
- The Café Athena philosophical discussion group will meet at 11:00 am.
- Englewood Authors meet at 5:00 pm.
- Family Storytime begins at 10:30 am and is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Fire Safety”.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
- No library events to report.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.