There are so many wonderful reasons to visit your local library but did you know that you can read your favorite magazine without ever leaving home for free? All you need is your Sarasota County Library Card and an internet enabled device to have the magazines you know and love, available digitally at your fingertips.
“Flipster” is an easy-to-use digital magazine newsstand that offers best-selling magazines. You can find the “Flipster” database on the Sarasota County Libraries’ webpage, scgov.net then click Research Help and More and click “Flipster”. Once you’re there you can choose from over seventy different popular magazines to download and read. Some of the titles that are available for your reading enjoyment include Consumer’s Report Buying Guide, Good Housekeeping, Oprah, Apple, People, Car & Driver, Sports Illustrated, Money, Time, Rolling Stone, HGTV Magazine and many more. Back issues are also available for viewing. Offline viewing is available via the “Flipster” app for iPads, Android tablets and Kindle Fire tablets.
Visit Elsie Quirk Library and ask one of our friendly staff for a demonstration of the “Flipster” database. Find your magazines, find yourself at the library!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- OWOW Writer’s Workshop meets at 1 p.m.
- Read with the Dogs at 3:30 p.m. Children are invited to read to a certified pet therapy dogs from Suncoast Humane Society.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film as twelve mysterious spacecraft appear around the world, linguistics professor, Louise Banks is tasked with interpreting the language of the apparent alien visitors. (PG-13, 1 hr. 56 min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Family Garden Club of Englewood meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- Athena: Wisdom & Wit meets at 11 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Europe SIG meets at 2 p.m.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead! at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Explore fundamental concepts of S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math). Fun, engaging, hands on learning. Registration is required and limited to 15 participants. This month will be “Halloween Science”.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5 p.m.
- Teen Anime Club meets at 5:30 p.m. For ages 11-18. Interested in anime? Come to the Teen Anime Club where each month we will watch a different anime film or series, and afterwards discuss. Contact the library for film titles.
- Tech Time: One on One Help with a Volunteer 10 a.m. – Noon. A Technology Volunteer will be available for help with e-books, computer basics, or questions about your electronic devices. Reserve a 30-minute session today by calling 941-861-1207 or by signing up at the Reference Desk.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “F is for Farmer”.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Area Mac Users – iDevices SIG meets at 1:30 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol meets at 10 a.m.
- Gulf Beach Homeschoolers meets at 12:30 p.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.