If you have a teenager who is looking for something to do, look no further than the library. Our Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B) is always looking for new members. The T.A.B. meets the third Wednesday of each month at 5:30 pm. They provide suggestions and ideas for events and programs for teens. This evening they will be hosting a Teen Halloween Party for all teens ages 11-18. There will be a costume contest, movies, and a scavenger hunt throughout the library and of course lots of refreshments. A signed permission slip is required for attendance. Library staff will be on hand to chaperone. T.A.B. meetings and programs are sponsored by the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library. For more information about T.A.B. or the Teen Halloween Party stop by the Youth desk or call (941) 861-1212.
Don’t forget about the 21st Annual Dearborn Street Safewalk on Monday, October 31st from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm. It’s a safe and fun way for children to trick-or-treat! Englewood businesses and organizations, including the Friends of the Elsie Quirk Library will be distributing candy to trick-or-treaters along Dearborn Street.
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- The Englewood Pokemon League meets at 2:30 pm.
- Teen Halloween Party after hours 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm for ages 11-18. Costume contest, movies, games and food! Signed permission slip required.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play at 10:15 am and 11:15 am. For children up to age 5 and their parent or caregiver. This class is a chance for you to be a partner in your child’s playtime. Forty Carrots’ learning materials give your child a chance to use his motor skills, while you chat with trained parenting educators. Each session is limited to 12 families on a first come, first served basis.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 pm. In tonight’s film two women with guy troubles swap homes in each other’s countries, where they each meet a local guy and fall in love. (PG-13, 2hrs. 18 min., 2006)
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead – SCIENCE. For ages 5-11 at 3:30 p.m. Explore science—learn about scientific principles that are a part of our everyday life. Awesome, exciting, hands-on fun. Registration is limited to 12 participants.
- The Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:00 pm
- At 10:15 am staff from the Sarasota County Public Utilities Stormwater division will present a Flood Zone Workshop. This workshop is for anyone who has questions about flood risks, zones, insurance regulations and pending map changes: especially residents, professional lenders, insurance agents and realtors.
- Children ages 5 and up will have lots of fun participating in the LEGO Club 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. Get together with others and share ideas, work as a team together, make new friends. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets the 1st Wednesday of the month 6:00-7:30 p.m. and the 3rd Saturday of the month from 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- Family Storytime begins at 10:30 am and is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Cool Cats”.
- Great Books Discussion Group meets at 10:15 am to discuss “Distributive Justice” by John Rawls.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1 pm to 3 pm.
- No library events to report.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.