The beginning of November signals the start of our seasonal book discussion groups here at Elsie Quirk Library. The Friends of Elsie Quirk Library sponsor three separate discussion groups that meet on Thursday mornings from November to April. You’re sure to find a group that fits your liking.
The Great Books Discussion group meets the first Thursday of each month at 10 a.m. and is moderated by George Mahoney. This fall he will be leading discussions on selections found in the Great Books Foundation’s “Great Conversations 2” and then will move on to “Great Conversations 4”.
The Short Story Group meets the second Thursday of each month at 10 a.m. and is also moderated by George Mahoney. This group will be reading and discussing short stories from the book “The Best American Short Stories of the Century”, the expanded edition, edited by John Updike.
The Reading Discussion Group is moderated by Friends of the Library board member, Pat Burkey and volunteer, Erin Krasnove. This group meets the third Thursday of each month at 10 a.m. The Reading Discussion Group will be reading and discussing a variety of different genres from novels to biographies and some non-fiction this season.
Please visit the library for a listing of all the titles that will be discussed or you can find it online at friendsofelsiequirk.org. In-house use copies of the “Great Conversations” and “The Best American Short Stories of the Century” books are available at the Reference desk in the library.
New members are always welcome to attend and encouraged to join in on the discussion. Joining a book discussion is also a great way to meet new friends!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Humane Society meets at 10 a.m.
- Sarasota Modern Quilt Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- OWOW Writer’s Workshop meets at 1 p.m.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film Lady Susan Vernon takes up temporary residence at her in-laws’ estate, and while there, is determined to be a matchmaker for her daughter, Frederica – and herself too, naturally. (PG, 1 hr. 30 min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society Board meets at 1 p.m.
- LEGO Club meets at 6 p.m. Children ages 5-12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Great Books Discussion meets at 10 a.m. November’s discussion selection will be “The Story of Samson” (The book of Judges 13-16) from Great Conversations 2
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Let’s Dance!”.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Area MacIntosh Users Group meets at 1 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol meets at 10 a.m.
- Affordable Care Act Enrollment Assistance at 11 a.m. A representative from the Health Planning Council of Southwest Florida will be on site to provide assistance with enrollment. By appointment only. Call 1-866-547-2793 to schedule an appointment.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.