If you’re in need of technology help, look no further than the library. We have several classes that are sure to help. Starting in November, Reference Librarian Victor Lorand will be instructing the “Wireless Laptops for Beginners” class. It is a class for those who are new to using a laptop or are struggling with some of the basic functions. Bring your Windows laptop and learn hands-on how to navigate to Internet addresses, what the left and right mouse click/touch pad does, how to save to a memory stick/flash drive, how to make and save a document, how to organize files and photos into folders. Class size is limited to 12 participants so you’ll want to register early to reserve your spot. Another offering will be “iPads for Beginners”. This class is broken down into two sessions. In Part 1, we’ll cover iPad basics such as internet browsing, downloading apps and how to take a photo. In Part 2, we’ll build on the first class by using email, saving and sharing, organizing apps, and also how to download eBooks from the Sarasota County Library System. You will need to bring your iPad and Apple ID to these classes. The iPad classes are limited to 10 participants each. If you don’t have an iPad but are interested in joining these classes you can still register to attend, the library has one that you can use. You can also checkout an iPad to use in the library at any time. For information about dates and times of these classes or to register, log on to www.scgov.net/library and click on calendar. Each of these classes will be offered once a month November through May.
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- Microsoft Word 2013 for Beginners class 10:00 am – 11:30 am. This class is an introduction to the basics of word processing. Learn how to create, edit and save a document, how to check spelling and grammar, how to set margins, fonts, and color and insert photos. Basic computer skills required. Bring your laptop and with you. Registration is limited to 12 participants.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play at 10:15 am and 11:15 am. For children up to age 5 and their parent or caregiver. This class is a chance for you to be a partner in your child’s playtime. Forty Carrots’ learning materials give your child a chance to use his motor skills, while you chat with trained parenting educators. Each session is limited to 12 families on a first come, first served basis.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 pm. In tonight’s film a plane crash claims the lives of members of the Marshall University football team. Some of the fans, the team’s new coach and the surviving players try to keep the football program alive. (PG, 2hrs 11min, 2006)
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead – MATH. For ages 5-11 at 3:30 p.m. Learn about and enjoy the math behind your favorite activities. Based on the Bedtime Math Curriculum. Registration is limited to 12 participants.
- Englewood Genealogy Society special interest group meets at 10:00 am for a session on Family Tree Maker software.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 1:00 pm.
- Children ages 7-11 will have fun playing Minecraft Afterschool from 3:30 pm – 4:45 pm. Unleash your imagination as you play Minecraft on the Xbox (360 Edition). Explore, build and conquer. A tutorial mode is available for beginners.
- Englewood Genealogy Society general meeting will be at 1:30 pm.
- The Edgar Cayce Book Club meets at 6:00 pm.
- Family Storytime begins at 10:30 am and is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Halloween”. Wear your costume!
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1 pm to 3 pm.
- No library events to report.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.