While the library will always be a haven for the printed page, it is also evolving to meet the information needs of today’s society. Technology has already changed the world, and we are here to help you keep up with the changes. From instructive books and movies, to group classes or one-on-one assistance, we want to provide the tools you need for whatever technology challenges you want to conquer.
At Elsie Quirk Library, we offer a variety of one-on-one tech help sessions with either a technology volunteer or one of our knowledgeable Reference Librarians. These free 30-minute sessions provide an opportunity for you to get one-on-one technology help regarding your tablet, mobile device, or computer. The tech volunteers and reference librarians are happy to offer their assistance to provide solutions for your specific questions or learning needs. They can also help with instructions on downloading eBooks from the Cloud Library or Overdrive to your device.
Check the library calendar for the next “Tech Time: One on One” tech help date and call the Elsie Quirk Library Reference desk at 941-861-1207 to reserve a session. You can also find an assortment of other technology classes throughout Sarasota County libraries, all are open to the public and free of charge.
Technology can be intimidating, but our friendly staff wants to help make it a little less scary. Don’t be shy, stop by and let us know how we can help!
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Tech Time: One on One with Chakrit 10 a.m.- noon. Technology volunteer, Chakrit, will be available today.
- LEGO Club 1:30 p.m. Children ages 5 to 12 will have fun getting together with others and sharing ideas, working together, and making new friends. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Coastal Cruisers Bike Club meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film is a chronicle of the childhood, adolescence and burgeoning adulthood of a young, African American, gay man growing up in a rough Miami neighborhood. (R, 1 hr. 51 min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society meets at 1 p.m.
- Minecraft Club at 3:30 p.m. For ages 7- Unleash your imagination as you play Minecraft on the Xbox (360 Edition). Explore, build and conquer. A tutorial mode is available for beginners.
- Association for Research and Enlightenment Book Club (A.E.) meets at 6:00 p.m.
- Southwest Homeowners Alliance meets at 10 a.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Not So Scary Halloween”.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol meets at 10 a.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.