We love our Friends at Elsie Quirk Library! The week of October 16 – 22, 2016 is National Friends of the Library Week. The Friends of the Elsie Quirk Library are a dedicated group of volunteers that are an integral part of the library. They work together with library staff to provide quality programming throughout the year for all ages. The Friends enhance the programs and operations of the library by encouraging community support and funding for materials and programs that are not provided for in the library’s regular budget. They do this through membership funds, fundraising efforts and bookstore revenues. We couldn’t do what we do without the help of our Friends.
As a commemoration of the Library’s 50th Anniversary the Friends of Elsie Quirk Library designed and created the library’s Golden Reading Garden. It has a lovely brick paver path that winds around the northwest portion of the library property. Along the path are numerous plants, flowers and trees that are maintained by the Friends Garden Committee volunteers. There are benches and a gazebo for folks to relax and enjoy the outdoors. You can also purchase a personalized paver brick to be added to the path. Visit the Friends’ Bookstore for more information. Please consider becoming a Friend of Elsie Quirk Library. Membership forms are available at the library and online at www.friendsofelsiequirk.org. It’s great to have Friends!
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- The Suncoast Writer’s Guild meets at 10:30 am.
- The Southwest Florida Fossil Society will be presenting Florida Fossils at 10:30 am for ages 5 and up. Enjoy an exhibit of fossils and learn how to identify and find local fossils. Each child will get a fossil to keep. Registration required for children and teens ages 5-18. Adults welcome to attend.
- LEGO Club at 1:30 pm for ages 5 and up. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. Get together with others and share ideas, work as a team together, make new friends. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play at 10:15 am and 11:15 am. For children up to age 5 and their parent or caregiver. This class is a chance for you to be a partner in your child’s playtime. Forty Carrots’ learning materials give your child a chance to use his motor skills, while you chat with trained parenting educators. Each session is limited to 12 families on a first come, first served basis.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 pm. In tonight’s film a murder inside the Louvre and clues in Da Vinci paintings lead to the discovery of religious mystery protected by a secret society for two thousand years – which could shake the foundations of Christianity. (PG-13, 2hrs. 29min., 2006)
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- The Englewood Computer Club meets at 1:00 pm.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead – ART. For ages 5-7 at 3:30 p.m. Art experiences using a variety of techniques. Focus on classic artists and their styles of art. Create and be inspired. Registration is limited to 12 participants.
- The Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) for ages 11-18 meets 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm. Come join the group and provide input and help with library programs. New members are always welcome. For more information, contact Young Adult Librarian Deirdre Morrow @ 861-1207.
- Teen Game Night 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm for ages 9 -18. We provide the gaming systems and games (Wii & Xbox 360); you bring your friends and have a good time.
- Family Storytime begins at 10:30 am and is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “When I Grow Up”.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
- The Englewood Peace Initiative Coalition will meet at 3:30 pm.
- No library events to report.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.