We love our Friends at Elsie Quirk Library!
The week of October 15-21, 2017 is National Friends of the Library Week.
The Friends of the Elsie Quirk Library are a dedicated group of volunteers that are an integral part of the library. They work together with library staff to provide quality programming throughout the year for all ages. The Friends enhance the programs and operations of the library by encouraging community support and funding for materials and programs that are not provided for in the library’s regular budget. They do this through membership funds, fundraising efforts and bookstore revenues.
Consider becoming a Friend of the Library today. Membership forms are available in the Friends Bookstore at Elsie Quirk Library and online at https://friendsofelsiequirk.org/be-a-friend-donor. Gifts of any size are greatly appreciated.
The Elsie Quirk Friends Board of Directors is also looking for new members. If you would be interested in serving as a board member, please stop by the library and fill out an informational card and a Friends representative will be in touch.
Libraries couldn’t do what we do without the help of our Friends. Will you be our Friend?
Here are the library events for this week:
- Spanish Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 3 and up. Bilingual stories, songs, and activities. Learn new words and practice language skills. The bilingual storytime is presented by library volunteer Lourdes Fuller. Everyone welcome!
- Suncoast Writers Guild – Long Writers meets at 10:30 a.m.
- Englewood Indivisible meets at 2:30 p.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film is a about a depressed uncle who is asked to take care of his teenaged nephew after the boy’s father dies. (R, 2 hrs. 17 min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) meets at 5:30 p.m. on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Come join the group and provide input and help with planning library programs. New members, ages 11-18 are always welcome.
- Pioneer Days Committee meets at 6 p.m.
- Eckankar meets at 6 p.m.
- Teen Game Night takes place at 6:30 p.m. and is open to all youth ages 9-18. We provide the gaming systems and games (Wii & Xbox 360). No registration necessary.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “D is for Dog”.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol meets at 10 a.m.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.