Have you ever wanted to learn how to play and instrument or become an artist? Here’s your chance! Check out the Sarasota County Library System’s newest database addition, ArtistWorks for Libraries. ArtistWorks for Libraries provides library patrons with world-class instruction through self-paced video lessons from Grammy Award-winning music and artistic professionals. It offers you everything you need for musical and artistic instruction, from introduction to advanced performance. It is suitable for both youth and adults and is a great alternative to expensive private instruction. Simply log in with your Sarasota County Library card and create an account to start your creative learning experience from the comfort of your own home.
If you’re in need of an encyclopedia to complete homework assignments or just looking for information, try World Book Online. It is a suite of online research tools that includes encyclopedia articles, primary source collections, educator tools, student activities, pictures, audio and video, complemented by current periodicals and related websites. World Book Online includes Early World of Learning for young learners, World Book Kids, World Book Student, Advanced, World Book Classroom – Dramatic Learning, and Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos for young Spanish speakers and beginning Spanish students. You can access World Book Online through the library website from your home computer.
The library offers so much more than just books. To access ArtistWorks and World Book Online or to see all of the online resources log on to www.scgov.net/library and click on Research Help and More to get started today.
Here’s what’s happening at the library this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild will have their general monthly meeting at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play at 10:15 am and 11:15 am. For children up to age 5 and their parent or caregiver. This class is a chance for you to be a partner in your child’s playtime. Forty Carrots’ learning materials give your child a chance to use his motor skills, while you chat with trained parenting educators. Each session is limited to 12 families on a first come, first served basis.
- Monday Night Movie at 5:00 pm. In tonight’s film a struggling salesman takes custody of his son as he’s poised to begin a life-changing professional endeavor. (PG-13, 1hr. 57mins.)
- Drop in for the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County from 10 am to noon. For more information, call 941-861-1307 or visit, http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/horthelp.shtml.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead –SCIENCE. For ages 5-11 at 3:30 p.m. Explore science—learn about scientific principles that are a part of our everyday life. Awesome, exciting, hands-on fun. This program will be on the first Tuesday of each month. Registration is limited to 12 participants.
- Children ages 5 and up will have lots of fun participating in the LEGO Club 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. LEGO bricks will be provided – bring your imagination. Get together with others and share ideas, work as a team together, make new friends. LEGO creations will be on display in the library until the next meeting date. The LEGO Club meets the 1st Wednesday of the month 6:00-7:30 p.m. and the 3rd Saturday of the month from 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- Englewood Genealogy Society will meet at 10 a.m. for a session on RootsMagic 7.
- Family Storytime begins at 10:30 am and is open to ages birth through 5. Enjoy interacting with your child by participating in early literacy activities that will include music and movement, books, crafts, and educational activities. This week’s theme is “Treetop Tales”.
- The Knitting Club will meet to knit and chat from 1 pm to 3 pm.
- The Englewood Area Mac Users Group meets from 1 pm to 4 pm.
- No library events to report.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at www.scgov.net/library.