When you visit Elsie Quirk Library this week, check out the Health in Motion bus while you’re here. Health in Motion is a mobile health services unit of the Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County (DOH-Sarasota). The Health in Motion staff provide free health screenings and referrals for general health and wellness. There is a registered nurse (RN) on board who is available to help individuals who lack medical insurance find a medical home for ongoing health care through referrals to the Community Health Centers of Sarasota County.
Health in Motion services include:
- Blood pressure screening.
- Body mass index (BMI) measurement.
- Diabetes – glucose screening.
- HIV and STD testing (select sites).
- Tips for staying healthy.
- Referrals to “Quit Your Way” with Tobacco Free Florida and medical and dental care at Community Health Centers of Sarasota County.
The Health in Motion bus makes a stop at Elsie Quirk Library the first Tuesday of each month. They will be parked in the west parking area Tuesday, November 7, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. No appointment is needed so stop in and have your blood pressure checked or receive some healthy living tips. For more information about Health in Motion call 941-861-2873 or visit their website at sarasotahealth.org.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Suncoast Writers Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Reunion SIG meets at 10 a.m.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. In tonight’s film, the daughter of a brilliant but mentally disturbed, recently deceased, mathematician, tries to come to grips with her inheritance: his insanity. Complicating matters are one of her father’s former ex-students, who wants to search through his papers, and her estranged sister, who shows up to settle his affairs. (PG-13, 1 hr. 40 min.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Health in Motion Bus will be in the library parking lot from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Englewood Shell Club meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Computer Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Englewood Genealogical Society – Europe SIG meets at 2 p.m.
- Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead! – Slime Time! at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-11. Practice using measuring cups to learn fractions. Then use your measuring skills to make slime! Fun, engaging, hands on learning. Registration is required and limited to 15 participants.
- Teen Anime Club meets at 5:30 p.m. Interested in anime? Come to the Teen Anime Club where each month we will watch a different anime film or series, and afterwards discuss. Ages 11-18. Contact the library for film titles.
- Affordable Care Act Enrollment Assistance at 10 a.m. A representative from the Health Planning Council of Southwest Florida will be on site to provide assistance with enrollment. By appointment only. Call 1-866-547-2793 to schedule an appointment.
- Short Story Discussion Group meets at 10:15 a.m. Readings will be from “The Best American Short Stories of the Century” edited by John Updike. Today’s discussion: “The Country Husband” by John Cheever pg. 325
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Treetop Tales”.
- Athena: Wisdom and Wit meets at 11a.m.
- The Knitting Club meets to knit and chat at 1 p.m.
- Englewood Area Mac Users Group – iDevices SIG meets at 1:30 p.m.
- Englewood Authors meets at 5 p.m.
- Sarasota County Libraries and Government offices are closed today to observe Veterans Day
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.