Did you know that Elsie Quirk Library has iPads as part of its collection? A generous donation from a library patron enabled us to purchase10 iPads for training purposes and general use. We utilize these iPads in beginner’s classes to help new users navigate and learn the features of an iPad. Our Youth staff also incorporates iPads into story times and other programming for children. We even to take them on the road occasionally for demonstrations at community events.
When we’re not using them to teach a class, library patrons can check out an iPad to use inside the library for up to 2 hours per day. The iPads are pre-loaded with a variety of apps for adults and children, and can also be used for Internet or email access. Now that we’re entering into our busy season, this will provide another option for patrons when our public computers are all in use.
If you aren’t yet familiar with using an iPad or tablet and are curious as to what the big deal is, come in and try it out for free. Our staff is happy to give you a demonstration and provide some helpful tips.
Here are the library events for this week:
- Affordable Care Act Enrollment Assistance at 10 a.m. A representative from the Health Planning Council of Southwest Florida will be on site to provide assistance with enrollment. By appointment only. Call 1-866-547-2793 to schedule an appointment.
- Sarasota Modern Quilt Guild meets at 10 a.m.
- Forty Carrots Partners in Play 10:15 a.m. OR 11:45 a.m. For children, up to age 5 with a parent or caregiver. A free class for you and your child to enjoy together. Experience new educational activities, join in circle-time fun, meet other families and receive valuable parenting and child development information. Attendance is limited to 12 families per session.
- Monday Night Movie at 5 p.m. Tonight’s film takes place during the Cold War when an American lawyer is recruited to defend an arrested Soviet spy in court, and then help the C.I.A. facilitate an exchange of the spy for the Soviet captured American U2 spy plane pilot, Francis Gary Powers. (PG-13, 2 hrs. 22 mins.) Contact the library for movie titles.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 10 a.m. – Noon. Stop in to get free answers to your Florida gardening and landscape questions. This is made possible through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County. For more information, call 941-861-9807 or online at sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/hort/plantclinic.shtml.
- Englewood Camera Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Reading Buddies at 3:30 p.m. For ages 5-8 (entering K through 3rd grade). Keep up your reading skills and become a better reader by practicing with a buddy. Have fun while reading together and playing engaging reading activities. Volunteers are not trained experts, but will listen, encourage and help as needed.
- French Conversation Group meets at 10 a.m.
- Teen Book Club meets at 5 p.m. Bring your friends for a book discussion followed by the movie based on the book. Contact the library for book and movie titles.
- Englewood Community Coalition meets at 6 p.m.
- Suncoast Humane Society meets at 10 a.m.
- Family Storytime at 10:30 a.m. For ages 0-5. Interact and participate with your child in a variety of early literacy activities that include music, stories, movement, crafts and school readiness activities. Today’s theme is “Home, Sweet, Home”.
- Knitting Club meets at 1 p.m.
- Grupo de Estudio Espanol (Spanish Study Group) meets at 10 a.m.
- Affordable Care Act Enrollment Assistance at 11 a.m. A representative from the Health Planning Council of Southwest Florida will be on site to provide assistance with enrollment. By appointment only. Call 1-866-547-2793 to schedule an appointment.
For more information on library programs, services, and resources visit us at 100 West Dearborn Street, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit our website at scgov.net.